• New Members

Possible M3 bison tooth unearthed in jasper county today, I did not get a chance to measure it before it was put in the artifact bag but it was at least 2 inches tall, from top of the crown to the bottom of the roots. It appears that all the roots were with it.

Also found were several simple bone tools such as awl, chert  flakes, another large heavy tibia  bone intentionally broken into sections with very sharp ends which I wasn't able to identify (but too large for deer), an antler tip cut for hafting, and an almost completely fossilized deer jaw section with teeth.

Requesting the help of somebody who has a moment to review the photos I took and see if they could possibly confirm.

Also including some pics oof the bone tools, deer teeth and antler tip, what looks to me like a fish hook made from what looks like a shark tooth or some kind of tooth with its tip broken. 

Two animal bones I was hoping someone can identify. One of them reminded me of a dolphin upper arm bone and the other one may be belongs to a rabbit? And one lightweight vertebra. Sorry no measurements were able to be gotten due to time constraints you just have to go by my female hand size!

Thank you.

PSX_20241021_212701.jpg

PSX_20241021_222739.jpg

PSX_20241021_222830.jpg

PSX_20241021_222952.jpg

PSX_20241021_212210.jpg

PSX_20241021_223604.jpg

PSX_20241021_225044.jpg

Edited by aignerad
add one more photo

21 hours ago, aignerad said:

Possible M3 bison tooth unearthed in jasper county today, I did not get a chance to measure it before it was put in the artifact bag but it was at least 2 inches tall, from top of the crown to the bottom of the roots. It appears that all the roots were with it.

Also found were several simple bone tools such as awl, chert  flakes, another large heavy tibia  bone intentionally broken into sections with very sharp ends which I wasn't able to identify (but too large for deer), an antler tip cut for hafting, and an almost completely fossilized deer jaw section with teeth.

Requesting the help of somebody who has a moment to review the photos I took and see if they could possibly confirm.

Also including some pics oof the bone tools, deer teeth and antler tip, what looks to me like a fish hook made from what looks like a shark tooth or some kind of tooth with its tip broken. 

Two animal bones I was hoping someone can identify. One of them reminded me of a dolphin upper arm bone and the other one may be belongs to a rabbit? And one lightweight vertebra. Sorry no measurements were able to be gotten due to time constraints you just have to go by my female hand size!

First of all, Welcome to the Forum, Aignenad...  a lot of smart people on TFF  who know tons about Fossils .  I am a 15 year hunter,  and found tons of Stuff... but lots of fossil, no #'s 1,2,3 so it is easy to address any specific fossil,  no measurements which are absolutely critical for some fossils, no separation... 

just makes it harder for a member to answer...

I will start with your 1st set of 6? Photos  .  This is Bovid,  either Bos (modern Cow) or Bison...

The most significant differentiator is the length of the chewing surface

Here is one of my recent posts on exactly which it is?  but I can not tell you because you can not provide the measurement. 

I have just answered you request for Bison in your other thread:

It is not an M3,  it is an upper tooth M2....

#2 set of 5 photos is possibly a m2 of American Black bear, or a peccary m3 ..  Very few details on the chewing surface. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members

Thank you for all the responses. I will see if I can get a measurement of the bison tooth chewing surface. It was a very large tooth, larger than any of the fossil horse teeth or modern horse teeth and cow teeth I've ever found. The pattern on the tooth surface matched identically your M3 in that line drawing of the teeth which I had seen in an earlier post before you responded and pasted it into a response to me and it was on that which what I based my identification. That pattern and construction of all surfaces of the whole tooth appear very similar to other confirmed bison teeth from Douth Florida I find online, including Fossil Forum. I do know bison were in this area (Coastal Carolina) up until about 1749.

Stand by and I will see if I can get the archaeologist to let me get a measurement of the tooth.