Large Clam??? Something Else?

Kimmikee

• New Members

This was found in SW Washington, I believe in the Lincoln Creek Formation.  It was found with a few identical others some a bit larger ,some broke.  I left most as that seemed right.  I have a second that is broke.  Included in pictures too. All had the same or similar divisions on the underside.   What I am calling a lopsided x for lack of a better word.

I have heard of large clam fossils being found in Western Washington, but searching doesn't find me anything distinguishable.  This fully may be from operator error.  As in I was searching at weird hours and super tired.   

Any feedback on what this is and isn't and what the darker material is.  What was it pre-fossilization and what is the mineral, etc. now.  That is if it is a fossil.  The majority is sandstone.

I feel like it's quite hard to find a generalized list of examples for WA fossils that includes updates beyond 1957.  Especially considering what all can be found here.  I feel like the more I research and try to learn the more I just learn that I was way off originally and don't really know anything.   I need a book, Idiots Guide to WA Fossils.  :D

IMG_1609.HEIC IMG_1610.HEIC IMG_1611.HEIC IMG_1612.HEIC IMG_1613.HEIC IMG_1614.HEIC IMG_1615.HEIC

Edited by Kimmikee
adding pics

• New Members

Trying this again with proper photos as I couldn't edit again.

This was found in SW Washington, I believe in the Lincoln Creek Formation.  It was found with a few identical others some a bit larger ,some broke.  I left most as that seemed right.  I have a second that is broke.  Included in pictures too. All had the same or similar divisions on the underside.   What I am calling a lopsided x for lack of a better word.

I have heard of large clam fossils being found in Western Washington, but searching doesn't find me anything distinguishable.  This fully may be from operator error.  As in I was searching at weird hours and super tired.   

Any feedback on what this is and isn't and what the darker material is.  What was it pre-fossilization and what is the mineral, etc. now.  That is if it is a fossil.  The majority is sandstone.

I feel like it's quite hard to find a generalized list of examples for WA fossils that includes updates beyond 1957.  Especially considering what all can be found here.  I feel like the more I research and try to learn the more I just learn that I was way off originally and don't really know anything.   I need a book, Idiots Guide to WA Fossils.  

1 again.jpg

1 again again.jpg

1.jpg

1 Top.jpg

1 bottom.jpg

1 bottom.jpg

1 bottom close.jpg

2.jpg

2 again.jpg

2 bottom with x.jpg

2 side.jpg

2 turned.jpg

Looks like you got pieces of concretions to me, although I don't know a ton about WA fossils.  @RJB might be able to tell us if there's any fossils in these concs ;)

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

It was enough to put your photos in the right format after the first, without having to create a double post.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Paréidolie : [url=https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/144611-pareidolia-explanations-and-examples/#comment-1520032]here[/url]

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree... a piece of a large concretion.  Sorry to have to tell you, there is neither shell material nor the impression of a clam there.  

• New Members
3 hours ago, Coco said:

It was enough to put your photos in the right format after the first, without having to create a double post.

Coco

Would love to have done it without, but it wouldn't let me delete the first or edit it to add the photos.  If anyone could delete the first or let me know how to do any of the listed I am more than willing.

• New Members
3 hours ago, jpc said:

I agree... a piece of a large concretion.  Sorry to have to tell you, there is neither shell material nor the impression of a clam there.  

I agree basically too.  That is why I picked them up initially.  I just have never seen concretions that are all flat like that on the bottom.  I didn't break these.  Or that all have similar chunks with sort of x like divisions.  I think there was five or six.  

Only administrators and moderators can edit a topic. This decision was made because many new members were emptying their photos once they had their response, satisfactory or not, these requests for identification becoming unsuitable.

To change something, just ask a moderator or administrator who will do it for you But you have to make it easier for him, that is to give him the link of the subject to be changed.

In any case you could put your good photos in your subject after the rest, even if the first ones were not removed.

To contact them, go to the bottom of the forum home page and click on a nickname in color.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Paréidolie : [url=https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/144611-pareidolia-explanations-and-examples/#comment-1520032]here[/url]

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Idiots guide to Washington fossils.   Good one.  Made me laugh.  Lots of concretions in Washington and some with fossils inside so don't quit.   Lots of fun to find fossils but also the fun is in the hunt.  Best of luck

RB