amethyst pendant

minnbuckeye

My wife and I traveled north of Thunder Bay, Canada looking for amethyst. We found some quality specimens. My wife fell in love with a particular piece that had red crystals surrounded by purple. I thought of making a pendant out of it for her. Unfortunately all of the "lapidaries" within 100 miles of me won't touch it. Does anyone know someone who would cut and create a pendant?

Sounds like an interesting piece. Wonder why they won't touch it.. Are they afraid of you or her? :s_cry:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Could be cracks in the stone….but they would have to have the stone in hand to see if it is cuttable. :shrug:

Shooting-The-Rapids-Native-Americans-Canoeing-Framed-wood-Engraving-for-sale.jpg.4d80e899bc6d482607ea278310a3d471.jpg

Loverly idea, you romantic.  Mike if this is a stupid question,  no offence meant.  But would you not have be better off looking for a craft jeweler that use gem stones?

Can we see a picture of the the specimen,  please.  Cheers Bobby 

46 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

My wife and I traveled north of Thunder Bay, Canada looking for amethyst. We found some quality specimens. My wife fell in love with a particular piece that had red crystals surrounded by purple. I thought of making a pendant out of it for her. Unfortunately all of the "lapidaries" within 100 miles of me won't touch it. Does anyone know someone who would cut and create a pendant?

I do lapidary.... But I would need pictures

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers!

James

My trilobites

About me

33 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@trilobites_are_awesome, @Bobby Rico, @C2fossils, Thanks for the responses. Maybe these photos will help, but it is tough capturing a crystalline piece on film.

DSC_0012.thumb.jpg.8826b9fe0ff624b51c54350304b2dd4a.jpg

DSC_0013.thumb.jpg.006a4f9f4432a079258fd4a90eb0e6ec.jpg

DSC_0014.thumb.jpg.cf12a641d365e9044d4e620a6c98f2ef.jpg

DSC_0015.thumb.jpg.978be695c0a175731633b40f8e48c550.jpg

DSC_0017.thumb.jpg.df08eaca4a92203defa64317bb86c257.jpg

That is pretty much unworkable.

My advice is to leave it as a specimen.  The crystals are in a thin film any attempt to make it thinner would shatter the piece if your wife likes leave it as is.

Sorry!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

My trilobites

About me

I do not understand the thin film. The crystals give way gradually to  a thick quartz. So from what others have said, it is "too hard" of material. I am not worried about shattering with 25 pieces as nice or nicer from the trip. I just want to try.  @trilobites_are_awesome, if you know of someone to contact, please message me.