Need help identifying

ArmySteve

• New Members

Me and my son started to collect shark teeth. We are unable to identify these. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_3256.jpeg

• New Members

They were found in Myrtle Beach SC. Near the crown reef resort .

Some may be too broken or worn to tell for sure.

Cropped and brightened:

IMG_3256-1.jpg

IMG_3256-2.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As Fossildude19 has already stated, these specimens are very worn, making identification difficult, but I'll do my best to narrow things down a little. I've assumed given the locality data provided that these teeth are from Neogene-age deposits. From the top left to bottom right:

1 - I can't tell whether or not the area at the base of the tooth fragment is part of a bourlette or just particularly worn. If it is a bourlette, the tooth would be that of either Otodus megalodon or Otodus angustidens, and so would be best labelled as that of an indeterminate otodontid. If not, it's either Cosmopolitodus hastalis or Carcharodon carcharias and so would be best labelled as that of an indeterminate lamnid.
2 - Could be any of the four aforementioned species.
3 - No idea.
4 - Could be C. hastalisC. carcharodon, or a species of Isurus.
5 - Negaprion sp. or a lower tooth of a species of Carcharhinus - too worn to tell.
6 - Negaprion sp., the lateral tooth of a Carcharias sp. or a lower tooth of a species of Carcharhinus.
7 - Negaprion sp.
8 - Negaprion sp.
9 - Doesn't look like any Neogene species I'm familiar with. Reminiscent of the lateral teeth of the Mesozoic - Paleogene genus Serratolamna, but it could be a rather unusual Carcharoides catticus tooth.

10 - Negaprion sp., the lateral tooth of a Carcharias sp. or a lower tooth of a species of Carcharhinus.
11 - Carcharias sp.
12 - Carcharias sp.

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

• New Members

Othniel C. Marsh firstly thank you very much for taking the time to identify each one down to the species. I was just looking for the broad identification but it’s awesome to the exact shark it came from. Again thank you so much !! My son was exited to see those sharks are no longer around.