Several small mammal teeth-- provenance unknown for both specimens.

Plantguy

Hi all,

I was going thru garage stuff again and cleaning up after the latest hurricane rambled thru. I ran across these unknowns and instead of continuing cleaning up I got sidetracked with this request. Hoping someone recognizes both. I never had labels/provenance for either of these as I inherited them from somewhere without anything.

Unknown #1 with the 3 teeth in the jaw bone fragment appear to me to be horse...maybe Mesohippus? but I'm guessing. From central USA? Oligocene? Am I even close?

Unknown1panoramaOligocenewithlabel.thumb.jpg.55c678cbe2a5ef1678200ebe3f75ca3b.jpg

Not sure what unknown #2 is--seems very very familiar in form but a quick look in a mammal book and online didn't show that occlusal pattern. I wondered about rhino but its so small and Im not sure and am fairly sure its not from Florida--possibly from here in the US somewhere, maybe the central USA!

Unknown2panoramaOligocenewithlabel.thumb.jpg.6adc955e43b416999010229100cebf4d.jpg

Wish I had some provenance but thought they were interesting otherwise and you all could help even without the provenance!

Have a great weekend! 

Thanks!

Regards, Chris

The first could be, and I am not sure on this as I know absolutely nothing about mammal fossils, a Oreodont jaw fragment.

As for the second, it looks quite familiar but I am unsure as to what it could be. I guess it could be a Rhino tooth of some form, but as I said, I know very little.

Edited by M3gal0don_M4n

“Deep words go here”- Me, 3/9/24                                                                                                                                                     YOUTHMEMBER2.jpg.69daf4f514282504b65cf9aa9208e90c.jpg