Megalodon teeth

StalinusCZ

Hello, I'd like you to check out those teeth labeled as Megalodon. I'm 95% sure that they're legit and from Megalodon, but I'm putting this here in any case.

The pics lower show 4 individual teeth, their sizes and localities are in that order:

1) 5,9 cm, Sukabumi Jampang, West Java, Indonesia

2) 9,4 cm, North Carolina, USA

3) 5,4 cm, Sukabumi Jampang, West Java, Indonesia

4) 8,1 cm, Sukabumi Jampang, West Java, Indonesia

Thanks for any answers!

148241-70.jpeg

148241-71.jpeg

148241-72.jpeg

148241-73.jpeg

148241-74.jpeg

148241-75.jpeg

126241-34.jpeg

126241-35.jpeg

126241-36.jpeg

126241-37.jpeg

126241-38.jpeg

126241-1.jpeg

126241-2.jpeg

126241-3.jpeg

126241-4.jpeg

126241-5.jpeg

512231-31.jpeg

512231-32.jpeg

512231-33.jpeg

Edited by StalinusCZ

Removed links to sellers as per forum rules.

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 minutes ago, Kane said:

Removed links to sellers as per forum rules.

Ah appologies, didn't realise it was against the rules, Imma include pics real quick

Edit: just to reason why I included the links, it was just for the pics, I didn't want to spam the message with pics, but it's alright, thanks for letting me know

Edited by StalinusCZ
  • Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, StalinusCZ said:

Ah appologies, didn't realise it was against the rules, Imma include pics real quick

Edit: just to reason why I included the links, it was just for the pics, I didn't want to spam the message with pics, but it's alright, thanks for letting me know

It is against forum rules to discuss prices/values, sellers/retailers, copy advertisement verbiage, or to mention or link to retail sites.

We are more focused on the fossils themselves, rather than circumstances around their collection, retail wise, at least.  ;)

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is against forum rules to discuss prices, sellers, copy advertisement verbiage, or to mention or link to retail sites.

We are more focused on the fossils themselves, rather than circumstances around their collection, retail wise, at least.  ;)

Got it, thanks!

I didn't want it to sound like talking back, so if it did, I'm deeply sorry about it.

Edited by StalinusCZ

No problem, we just have strict rules keeping this forum free of valuation talk and retail links (there are enough other websites that focus on this).

The teeth in question all appear to be megs. They are all fragmentary but they are indeed from the most famous of the fossil sharks. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, digit said:

No problem, we just have strict rules keeping this forum free of valuation talk and retail links (there are enough other websites that focus on this).

The teeth in question all appear to be megs. They are all fragmentary but they are indeed from the most famous of the fossil sharks. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you for your answer! Despite being fragmentary, do you think it would be worth getting one of them? In my opinion, they look pretty great if I wanted to stay on lower budget and not spend too much (I won't mention price any further.)

I live in a state that is rich in megs (and other fossil shark teeth). I prefer to collect my own but not everybody has that luxury. Others build collections sitting at their computers and 'hunting' for fossils online (something that you simply couldn't do 30 years ago). It can be an effective way for someone to build a diverse collection. Meg teeth from the States are more commonly available online, less so from more remote locations like West Java. You have to decide what are the reasons behind building your collection. If it is to sample from a large diversity of types of fossils without too much outlay, then buying less complete fossil material may be the way to go. Some folks would rather save up and focus on fewer fossils that are more complete or which have better display potential. The same can be said of any kind of collecting--it's a quantity vs. quality thing, and something you need to decide for yourself.

All of the specimens shown are megs. The size, serrations and the bourlette all indicate they are. Beyond that you have to decide if any of these deserve a place in your collection. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, digit said:

I live in a state that is rich in megs (and other fossil shark teeth). I prefer to collect my own but not everybody has that luxury. Others build collections sitting at their computers and 'hunting' for fossils online (something that you simply couldn't do 30 years ago). It can be an effective way for someone to build a diverse collection. Meg teeth from the States are more commonly available online, less so from more remote locations like West Java. You have to decide what are the reasons behind building your collection. If it is to sample from a large diversity of types of fossils without too much outlay, then buying less complete fossil material may be the way to go. Some folks would rather save up and focus on fewer fossils that are more complete or which have better display potential. The same can be said of any kind of collecting--it's a quantity vs. quality thing, and something you need to decide for yourself.

All of the specimens shown are megs. The size, serrations and the bourlette all indicate they are. Beyond that you have to decide if any of these deserve a place in your collection. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Again, thank you for your answer!

Sadly I live in Central Europe, so not really many fossils can be found outside. Tho I basically collect anything that catches my eye and looks good- for a reasonable price (I'm not that really rich if you get me). But in my opinion, those meg teeth look pretty good for my collection. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Hi, these are indeed authentic megalodon teeth, although the quality isn't the highest but they are quite representative of this species.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, Psittacosaurus said:

Hi, these are indeed authentic megalodon teeth, although the quality isn't the highest but they are quite representative of this species.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your answer!