Are There Health Risks

torquefree89

• New Members

I have a real concern. I recently went diving for fossils In a river in Florida and later that night I was drilling a hole in a fossil shark tooth. There was a fan blowing not to far away from me, but I am extremely worried that the tooth could have had a virus or something in the dust that could have harmed me. Does any one know of anything that has happened like that ever or can help me stop worrying.

your worry sort of sounds unnatural. there are many things that can happen to you while diving, but you are not at all likely to catch a virus from drilling a shark tooth, in my opinion. stop worrying. tell yourself perhaps you'll worry later, and then forget to do it.

Sounds like The Thaw which is nothing close to as good as The Thing but its probably not a good idea to inhale any rock particulates

Edited by toothpuller

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

If you watch that show "Monster's inside of me" long enough you will start thinking the same way!

I think the silica dust is most dangerous in this case. I am sure your immune system gets a work out diving in the muddy Florida water though ;-) I imagine human virus come mostly from humans so a trip to the mall is more dangerous from that perspective.

You will not catch a virus from drilling a shark tooth. First of all, fish and human viruses are very different and not zoonotic. Second, even if there were viruses, and there are not, the heat of the drill would kill any viruses that would be there. It is possible to catch a virus or bacteria from human fecal matter in the Florida river. Not at all likely, but possible.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Why would anyone drill a shark's tooth...if your making a necklace...wrap it. Drilling a hole in a sharks tooth pretty much destroys any value and it is just wrong to destroy prehistoric history. YOU NEVER DRILL A SHARK TOOTH OR ANY ARTIFACTS !

Edited by Thresher1973

drilling sharks teeth has been around for thousands of years. I like a drilled tooth over a wrapped one any day.

faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com

Why would anyone drill a shark's tooth...if your making a necklace...wrap it. Drilling a hole in a sharks tooth pretty much destroys any value and it is just wrong to destroy prehistoric history. YOU NEVER DRILL A SHARK TOOTH OR ANY ARTIFACTS !

Well, it shifts its value as one thing (common fossil) to its value as something else (decorative/jewelry). Owner's choice: no foul.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When in doubt, I wrap a bandana over my nose and mouth. Just warn other's in the house, so they don't think your robbing the place... ;)

Be true to the reality you create.

I go into the Peace River as often as I can -- and I realize that there is nasty stuff in there that can harm me, and that does not include the large gators, poisonous snakes, trash and broken glass, drowning risks, and unfriendly humans.

In addition to Naegleria, I come out of the river with all sorts of itches and rashes odd bites, etc. Not sure what was going on in the spring, but I had some sort of spotty mold/algae that was layering on the bottom of my kayak (and likely to my body) and about the same time I had this nasty rash after a day of fossils. Right around my waist at the top of my bathing suit, about 1.5 inches of red welts, which took two weeks to heal with the skin pealing off. It was a maddening itch for the first couple of days.

It is a nasty world out these. Stay safe, my friends.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

the Peace is a NASTY river, the mexican migrant workers who live along the river down there dump thier trash stright into the river, it has been seen on more that a few occasion, diapers are not uncommon to find floating in the water. They are cleaining the Peace now, its starts at the south end of Lake Hancock in Lakeland and they are dredging the lake to clean the bottom. way too much agricutlure waste and chemicals from farms and cows have run into that lake for decades, the lake itself is an awesome site for artifacts and has a18850`s fort site on the south end

Edited by coral daddy

faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com

I go into the Peace River as often as I can -- and I realize that there is nasty stuff in there that can harm me, and that does not include the large gators, poisonous snakes, trash and broken glass, drowning risks, and unfriendly humans.

In addition to Naegleria, I come out of the river with all sorts of itches and rashes odd bites, etc. Not sure what was going on in the spring, but I had some sort of spotty mold/algae that was layering on the bottom of my kayak (and likely to my body) and about the same time I had this nasty rash after a day of fossils. Right around my waist at the top of my bathing suit, about 1.5 inches of red welts, which took two weeks to heal with the skin pealing off. It was a maddening itch for the first couple of days.

It is a nasty world out these. Stay safe, my friends.

And I thought looking for fossils is fun...rolleyes.gif

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

• 5 months later...

It sounds like you have bad allergies.

Not necessarily.

Read me and never enter the water again.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wait, drilling a shark tooth, thats just wrong :angry:

HA HA HA HA HA I have to agree! Poor shark tooth. If anything, wire wrap it! But I prefer them unblemished and in display cases!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

A very good respirator (not just a dust mask)should always be worn when working on any fossil. Breathing in stone dust on a regular basis will kill you long before any virus you could conceive of catching from a fossil.