Isle Of Wight Fossil Hunting Trip

FF7_Yuffie

So, In September I'm going on my first actual fossil hunting trip (Bar a few looks whilst at beaches in Whitby & France)

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of research, found the best places to search etc and am planning on heading to Brightstone Bay.

Now here's my question. I've read on numerus sites that the best place to look for dinosaur remains at Brighstone is in the grey clay plant-beds.

Am I correct in assuming that the gray coloured areas in the cliff-face in the photograph links are the grey-clay beds or not? Just so I know what to look for when I go, I'd hate to spend ages searching in the wrong area :angry:

http://www.brighstone.ukfossils.co.uk/Brighstone-Fossils/archive/DSCF0982.jpg

http://www.brighstone.ukfossils.co.uk/Brighstone-Fossils/archive/DSCF1019.jpg

http://www.brighstone.ukfossils.co.uk/Brighstone-Fossils/archive/DSCF1018.jpg

Apologies if it's a stupid question. Never been to the Isle of Wight and it's my first actual fossil hunting trip so I'm not entirely sure on what to look for in terms of the geology of the cliffs. (Feel confident I can spot dinosaur bones though! which I guess is the important thing :) )

Thank's in advance y'all! :)

EDIT: Sorry if it seems I'm getting you to do my work for me. I'm not, I have spent ages finding the best spots, best beds etc. Just need confirmation if I'm right in assuming that they're bits of the clay plant-beds :)

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

:) Sorry not to be able to answer that question for you.I did see a video once about the fossils there.

They are located four fifths of the way up the cliffs and weather out onto the beach.Also carry a camera for a great photo op.as there are dino tracks going into the water.Good luck on the hunt. :D

Bear-dog.

Is it just me or is there a face in the cliff in the last pic...hmmmm.

Anyway, when fossil hunting its always a good idea to walk along the formation and look at the rocks that have fallen. If you find one with a fossil then you can match it to which strata it fell from (and from the looks of those cliffs Im thinking searching the base may be your only bet as the cliffs look steep!)

FF7_Yuffie..... I think my first port of call when you get there would be the museum.... If you google Dinosaur museum Isle of Wight, you will find the location and more information about the opening times etc.... You will get a look at the material thats is found there and where it comes from on the labels and maybe get to ask a couple of questions if theres anyone around to ask (like a curator).... as far as determining the correct layer in the cliff, thats going to be determined by looking over everything on your first trip.....gaining experience.... there is no fast track way of doing this, unless you go with someone familiar with the geology of the area and has been succesful previously....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

:) Sorry not to be able to answer that question for you.I did see a video once about the fossils there.

They are located four fifths of the way up the cliffs and weather out onto the beach.Also carry a camera for a great photo op.as there are dino tracks going into the water.Good luck on the hunt. :D

I'm planning on heading to see the footprints, they're at Haverland point I think. I think I'm gonna go on one of them fossil tours since there's one which takes you to the fossil prints and I'm pretty sure I'd miss 'em on my own :)

Is it just me or is there a face in the cliff in the last pic...hmmmm.

Anyway, when fossil hunting its always a good idea to walk along the formation and look at the rocks that have fallen. If you find one with a fossil then you can match it to which strata it fell from (and from the looks of those cliffs Im thinking searching the base may be your only bet as the cliffs look steep!)

FF7_Yuffie..... I think my first port of call when you get there would be the museum.... If you google Dinosaur museum Isle of Wight, you will find the location and more information about the opening times etc.... You will get a look at the material thats is found there and where it comes from on the labels and maybe get to ask a couple of questions if theres anyone around to ask (like a curator).... as far as determining the correct layer in the cliff, thats going to be determined by looking over everything on your first trip.....gaining experience.... there is no fast track way of doing this, unless you go with someone familiar with the geology of the area and has been succesful previously....

The main museum, Dinosaur Isle is in the same town I'm stopping at :D

It sounds pretty good too. I was planning on visiting it at some point but not straight away, I'll follow your advice though and make that my first stop. Also, I've been looking at the fossil hunting tours they do, I reckon I'll go on one of them and ask the guide what layers are the best to look in.

FF7_Yuffie...

please , find a new baryonyx for the fossil forum :)

I'd be overly excited to find anything at all :D Especially any Baryonyx remains, always liked that dino for some reason :D

I'm planning on heading to see the footprints, they're at Haverland point I think. I think I'm gonna go on one of them fossil tours since there's one which takes you to the fossil prints and I'm pretty sure I'd miss 'em on my own :)

The main museum, Dinosaur Isle is in the same town I'm stopping at :D

It sounds pretty good too. I was planning on visiting it at some point but not straight away, I'll follow your advice though and make that my first stop. Also, I've been looking at the fossil hunting tours they do, I reckon I'll go on one of them and ask the guide what layers are the best to look in.

I'd be overly excited to find anything at all :D Especially any Baryonyx remains, always liked that dino for some reason :D

Oh yes, Baryonyx is a very attractive dino, but what I like more is that it was discevered by an amateur paleontologist.

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Your second photo looks a lot like where Baryonyx came from. There are a few good books on geology of the IOW, but I assume you have them. In case not... "Fossil hunting on Dinosaur Island" by Martin Simpson who runs the Dinosaur Museum, and the Geologists' Association Guidebook No. 60 simply entitled "The Isle of Wight". I bought the latter at the Nat Hist Museum in London and I think I got Simpson's book at his museum. Both museums are worth the time... the one on the west end of the Island has some excellent fossils including some wonderful crocodile fossils, oh and a few dumb ole dinosaurs. The Dinosaur Museum is also good, and I think their fossil trips would be a very worthwhile adventure. You will see the rocks form an expert's point of view which is something you just can't do on your own. And then if you want you can go back later solo. Keep an eye on the tides. I've had some good luck on the IOW on two trips. Found a wonderful double sea urchin on the south coast (I'd have to look up my notes for more detail, but supposedly a photo of it will be in Simpson'd next book of IOW fossils) and some nice little Meyerella lobsters at Atherfield Point or nearby. It'll take some time and a bit of luck to find the good stuff.

good luck, have fun and send us a report.

Edited by jpc