Winner Of The July 2010 Invertebrate/plant Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

post-420-079493300 1281106545_thumb.jpg

The Winner of the July 2010 Invertebrate/Plant Find Of The Month is the Fire opal replaced petrified wood from Miocene strata in Nevada, USA! Congratulations again to Yinan (veomega) on a jewel-like find that edged ahead of an amazing trilobite to complete a SWEEP of the July contests!

Thank you to the others that shared their finds with the Forum.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yinan,

A clean sweep for you this month!

Congratulations on this beauty, as well.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you everyone for voting! I'll have better pictures up soon.

I love that fossil... :)

Welcome to the forum!

Great fossil and definitely worthy! Congrats!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Awesome that you got both categories. Congrats. Love that opal wood!

Yinan, the extra photos are incredible; what a find.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Veomega..... Congratulations.... Very nice find.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Congratualtions on that super find! Colors are just beautiful....

PL

Not trying to flame anyone on this but can you please explain how you found the fish in Idaho and the very next day, over 700 miles away you find a piece of opal in Nevada. Do you have your dates wrong? and also, I am still trying to learn here so please bear with me, but how do you know this is petrified wood? I think it looks really nice but I can not tell how it is pet. wood. If it is, it looks totally different from pet. wood i have found (course mine is not opal, lol).

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Hi AeroMike! Veomega here, responding under my work screenname.

Good questions are always welcomed!

So our spot in Idaho to Denio NV is 534 miles, not 700. After collecting for an afternoon in Idaho, we headed south. Since the nearest decent hotel to Denio is in Burns, OR, we stopped there for the night around midnight. So that's 400 miles. The next morning, we left around 5:30 am to get to the opal site by 8 am. Rainbow Ridge, the opal place, only quarries fresh material at 8 am, so you have to be there or you'll end up just hunting spoil piles.

Roadtrip pics here: http://thefossiladdict.livejournal.com/

As for how you can tell its pet wood; essentially all the opal at the site is wood replaced by opal. And this piece still has texture from the bark of the petrified wood, if you saw it in person you could tell it's a complete round.

-YvW

Next fossil auction: June 6th, 2010 - Beverly Hills, CA

http://historical.ha.com/NaturalHistory/

Check out our auctions and past auctions!

Hi AeroMike! Veomega here, responding under my work screenname.

Good questions are always welcomed!

So our spot in Idaho to Denio NV is 534 miles, not 700. After collecting for an afternoon in Idaho, we headed south. Since the nearest decent hotel to Denio is in Burns, OR, we stopped there for the night around midnight. So that's 400 miles. The next morning, we left around 5:30 am to get to the opal site by 8 am. Rainbow Ridge, the opal place, only quarries fresh material at 8 am, so you have to be there or you'll end up just hunting spoil piles.

Roadtrip pics here: http://thefossiladdict.livejournal.com/

As for how you can tell its pet wood; essentially all the opal at the site is wood replaced by opal. And this piece still has texture from the bark of the petrified wood, if you saw it in person you could tell it's a complete round.

-YvW

Awesome! thanks a lot for explaining it to me. You see, I am an engineer and I crunch numbers and my wife says I operate on my own wave length, lol. I'll give you an example, we were looking at the huge pine tree that looked like a large maple tree (branches simulated those of the maple) it was a neat looking tree and my wife askled what I was thinking. I answered her honestly and I told here I was using Pythagora's Theorem, you know A squared + B squared = C squared, anyhow, that is how I think and I was hoping you didn't take it the wrong way is all.

Also, thanks for the info on the opal pet wood, that is really cool, I did not know that.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"