Entries - August 2010 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Last month, we had the largest number of entries ever! Will the trend continue in August? We will see if the summer heat helps or hinders the search for your find of the month.

The objective is to have fun. So carefully read the rules below, and go make some great finds! Entries will be taken through August 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hello all, this is MB :)

Last sunday August 1, I was fossiling with a good italian friend... and I found this one, I hope to have it finished before the august 30, but by the moment take a look at this elusive and wonderful crab

post-41-033317600 1281122724_thumb.jpg

post-41-030126500 1281122748_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see it fully prepped... :wub:

Hello all, this is MB :)

Last sunday August 1, I was fossiling with a good italian friend... and I found this one, I hope to have it finished before the august 30, but by the moment take a look at this elusive and wonderful crab

...and this is just the the begin... :wub::o

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

This is my August 2010 entry for this month. It is a Hydrochoerus holmesi juvenile hoof core. Found in the Santa Fe river Guilchrist County, FL. On August 2nd. Sorry for the image quality, I'm new to this. It comes from the late pleistocene.

post-3317-070894100 1281308505_thumb.jpg post-3317-054240600 1281308514_thumb.jpg

Bear-dog.

This is my August 2010 entry for this month. It is a Hydrochoerus holmesi juvenile hoof core. Found in the Santa Fe river Guilchrist County, FL. On August 2nd. Sorry for the image quality, I'm new to this. It comes from the late pleistocene.

[Picture1] [Picture2]

Ah, does your camera have a Macro function? That might help.

:( No it was a cheap camera and I think I may have taken the picrute too close.Sorry.

Bear-dog.

:( No it was a cheap camera and I think I may have taken the picrute too close.Sorry.

Bear-dog, please see if you can have a friend photograph your find or borrow their camera for a few photos. :) If you can get some clear photos, then we can see it and include it in the contest.

Per the the rules above: ...only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Peccary jaw

found on: August 7th, 2010

Miocene, Calvert formation, zone 10.

post-1554-003634800 1281329124_thumb.jpg

post-1554-063366200 1281329131_thumb.jpg

post-1554-051205800 1281329141_thumb.jpg

post-1554-081671100 1281329212_thumb.jpg

post-1554-040641800 1281329220_thumb.jpg

post-1554-067944200 1281329234_thumb.jpg

post-1554-007500400 1281329242_thumb.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

*Self edited before being banned*

WAY TOO MANY ENTRIES, THIS SITE SHOULD NARROW THE CHOICES DOWN TO, SAY, FOUR SIX.

Sorry for the CAPS, I am too lazy to go back and re-type

Edited by AeroMike

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Here is my treasure this month and quite possibly the entire season. I found it on Saturday, August 7 in southern Wisconsin. It is a very rare Dolichoharpes reticulatus from the Mifflin member of the Platteville formation Ordovician in age.

post-3840-053197200 1281529372_thumb.jpg

post-3840-083150300 1281529391_thumb.jpg

This is my first entry for fossil of the month. It is an extremely rare agnathan from the Mazon Creek deposit of Northern Illinois. The species is Pipiscius zangerli and is unique to Pit Eleven. It is thought to be similar to a lamprey with no similar types known in the fossil record. At the time it was described (1977), there were only twelve known examples. A few more have been recovered since then but I would estimate there are only around twenty known examples. Another interesting note is that this is the smallest specimen that has been found. The specimen exibits a much deeper body then larger more mature examples. I collected the concretion in June and it open using a freeze/thaw technique on August 2nd 2010.

post-1202-076126300 1281545292_thumb.jpg

post-1202-091664200 1281545350_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more pictures.

post-1202-096648000 1281545511_thumb.jpg

post-1202-026475500 1281545546_thumb.jpg

Here is my treasure this month and quite possibly the entire season. I found it on Saturday, August 7 in southern Wisconsin. It is a very rare Dolichoharpes reticulatus from the Mifflin member of the Platteville formation Ordovician in age.

It's only the 11th of August, and I already know what I'm going to vote at the end of the month!! Great find, I'm sure that'll come out just perfect when you sandblast it! :wub:

cheers,

Mark

Caleb ,

wonderful trilobite

is very difficult to me for the vote :unsure:

nice crab , nice trilobite.....

Edited by alopias

It's only the 11th of August, and I already know what I'm going to vote at the end of the month!! Great find, I'm sure that'll come out just perfect when you sandblast it! :wub:

cheers,

Mark

this really is the so-called HOT START :bow: :goodjob::wub: :hot:

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

MB, this story will get the "sympathy vote"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heres my entry I found it today on August 12, no prep work has been done to it at all other than cleaning it with a brush. Its Late Cretaceous from Southern California, marine siltstones.It is a Cretaceous Bivalve which would have lived on the conitinental slope in the ocean.

post-3427-097607700 1281659184_thumb.jpg

Edited by kolleamm

Heres my entry I found it today on August 12, no prep work has been done to it at all other than cleaning it with a brush. Its Late Cretaceous from Southern California, marine siltstones.

Kolleamm, please provide some sort of identification of your find per rule number 5 above. Remember that one of the objectives of the contest is to also share the result of your research on your find. :)

august 12.

When I found this crabs, my thought was " this is one of the crabs of my life... " perfect for the holidays, time to prep, photo for the Fossil Forum and so. :D but soon I saw that something strange happened with this crab.

First was the left chelae, fortunately I didn't broked it because it was disarticulated. then was the carapace: it splits constantly. Later the spines and tips, every of them was incrusted by an oyster or foram and every of them was broken.

My Patiente and love for the crabs have a limit, today was the day, I declared finished this crab even if don't win the fossil of the month. :(

Today, after lunch, I took the pieces of the crab and put them on a table in the balcony, there I was watching my precous and wonderful work upon this infamous matrix... and what happened? the left chelae fall down and after to crash the ground of the balcony... fall down to the swimming pool of my building .... :o

the swimming pool ground was plenty of people, mamas and childrens playing and running by there... :wacko:

Imagine me shouting everybody... "Dont Move " stay still everybody" :blush:

And later, whe I was down, searching my pieces by the ground between the childrens and mamas kneel down with my optivisor and talking about one crab... :blush:

I have recofered few fragments and I must make a little bit of rebuilding.

I'm so sorry :(

August 13.

Here are the surgical works on the left chelae, the balcony and the community swimming pool and the final results on this crab. :mellow:

Xanthilites macrodactylus var. pyrenaicus Artal&Via, 1988 (generic assignation will be revised soon) Ilerdian. Pre-Pyrinean mountains, Aragón, Spain.

post-41-006717500 1281713584_thumb.jpg

post-41-099534200 1281713605_thumb.jpg

post-41-045094600 1281713632_thumb.jpg

post-41-090732700 1281713644_thumb.jpg

post-41-006280900 1281713659_thumb.jpg

post-41-097699800 1281713670_thumb.jpg

post-41-080576100 1281713689_thumb.jpg

doesnt look bad at all! nice mb.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I found this giant on a trip to Colorado and it took me about an hour to chop it out of the block of stone it was in. Also there is even a borrow on the back of it. And this is the biggest shell i have ever found modern or prehistoric (not including cepheopods).

Info:

Spiecies - Mollusk

Age - Jurassic (I only know that based on a ammonite i found in the same layer so i may be wrong)

Formation - Unknown

Location - Pueblo, Colorado

Found - 8/1/2010

post-2572-002399100 1281720067_thumb.jpg

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

Scelidosaurus.jpg

Scelidosaurus Vertebra from Stonebarrow, Charmouth, Dorset, England

190 million years old (5 million years younger than the other 9 scelidosauruses) LOWER JURASSIC

Juvenile specimen

3rd piece of the 9th Specimen of Scelidosaurus ever found

28th Vertebra down the back,if anyone is interested

Found: 11th August 2010 in current condition

May be a new species, but until proven: Scelidosaurus Harrisonii

Sorry, its got no scale. but its slightly bigger than a 1p, just smaller than a 2p

The first confirmation that it was a scelidosaurus was from a man in the charmouth heritage centre, who had previously worked on the most complete specimen, and also the most complete dinosaur in England. He photographed it, forms were signed and names taken. The next day he sent the pictures and info to the natural history museum, who confirmed it as a juvenile scelidosaurus vertebra, from the same specimen as chris pamplins find, and also from the same specimen as a vertebra found in the same area the day before.

They also said that it could be a new species, because the layer of rock it came from was 5 million years younger than the previous 8 specimens.

It was returned to me with a label and a nice bag, and I was told to keep it incase the specimen was to be recontructed. At the moment there could be several more vertebra out there that haven't been recorded, but any more finds will herald an email to all other owners of the specimen.

For the moment It is classified as Scelidosaurus harrisonii, but if enough of the dino is collected it may be changed.

Fossily99: what even is earth?

xonenine: Its a good place to collect fossils.

Well, I guess I'll try another trilobite. This is a Thaleops laurentiana (formerly known as Nanillaenus conradi) found on a trip with several forum members on Aug 14. This trilobite is uncommon enough at this site, but this one also has both eyes intact, a real bonus.

post-77-054582900 1281994514_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else