Geiger Counter In Tx?

Fossilcollector

Hey everyone,

Anyone in the Dallas area happen to have a geiger counter? I've got some minerals and fossils I need to check up on...

-YvW

fire stations, or at least the fire department's hazmat team, would have them, but if you went there with your stuff and any of it was hot, there might be an "issue" over it...

fire stations, or at least the fire department's hazmat team, would have them, but if you went there with your stuff and any of it was hot, there might be an "issue" over it...

By "issue" I assume you mean the feds coming up and confiscating it as I would expect them to for "saftey reasons."

By "issue" I assume you mean the feds coming up and confiscating it as I would expect them to for "saftey reasons."

actually i didn't mean any specific response - just that the fire department's standard operating procedures probably don't read to just tell the owner of radioactive material that it's radioactive and to have a nice day...

During the cold war CDV-700 were ment for civilian use in bomb shelters etc....

For detection of low radiation counts an uncalibrated CDV-700 should be adequate for your potential hot fossils... for sub $100

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ELECTRO-NEUTRONICS-INC-6B-CDV-700-GEIGER-COUNTER-/270614591787?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item3f01e2f92b

Measure room background then measure your fossil... you will then get a rough idea how many times hotter than background radiation in your fossil. The counters come with a small radioactive source mounted at the side of the detector case as a check if the unit is functional or not.

PL