Id Of Formations

erose

I found this fish tooth, tentatively ID'd as Symmorium sp., in the foothills just west of Santa Fe, NM. There is an outlier there of Paleozoic rock that on some maps should include Mississippian at it's base and then the La Pasada and Alamitos Formations. This is in the SW Sangre de Cristo Mtns. I have found some good information on the Pennsylvanian of NM but have yet to find a good description of these individual formations.

This and other fossils were collected from tan, gray, red and green layers of limestone, sandstone and mudstone. Other fossils included the usual brachs, crinoids and corals of Pennsylvanian age.

If anyone has more specific info on either these formations or the area around Santa Fe I would really appreciate it.

post-1875-058625800 1281534056_thumb.jpg

I don't want to turn this topic into a rabbit chaser, but I have to ask; what is going on with the overlying matrix? It looks to have pores scattered over it, like some kind of encrustation (even on the faint oval impression, which is another "whatzit" for me). :unsure:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Neat tooth! There is also either a button coral or the end of a rugose coral in it (or its a shark dentical.)

I don't want to turn this topic into a rabbit chaser, but I have to ask; what is going on with the overlying matrix? It looks to have pores scattered over it, like some kind of encrustation (even on the faint oval impression, which is another "whatzit" for me). :unsure:

The matrix is a really hard crinoidal packstone. The pors are interesting and maybe a result of weathering since this was found on a well exposed slab. Almost all the other bits at the surface or sticking out are crinoid columnals. There are a few small bryozoans and brachs as well (but seen here.) FYI: There are small rugose corals to be found there but what you see in the photo is crinoid.

And I DO want to have it prepped. It certainly looks like the main cusp descends into the matrix and could be intact. BUT the matrix is very hard. I gave it a try with a dental pick and only just scratched it. That kind of prep work is out of my league. I'll send it off for work sometime in the near future.