Mazon Creek

frozen_turkey

Hay guys! Im planing a trip to mazon creek this last week before college starts. And i dont know were the good exposers are at. So i was wondering were i could find these places.

-Frozen

Your best bet is the Southern End of Pit Eleven. It is now called The Mazonia Braidwood Wildlife Area. This is a tough time of year to collect as most of the smaller exposures are completely covered with vegetation. There are a couple of exposures on the East side of Monster Lake. They are heavily collected but if you get there after a heavy rain, you can get lucky. There are some other exposures but it would be hard to give you accurate directions. You can pull up the area on Google Maps and look for bare exposure. Plan on doing some moderately difficult hiking. The results can pay off but it takes persistance. Good luck!

Your best bet is the Southern End of Pit Eleven. It is now called The Mazonia Braidwood Wildlife Area. This is a tough time of year to collect as most of the smaller exposures are completely covered with vegetation. There are a couple of exposures on the East side of Monster Lake. They are heavily collected but if you get there after a heavy rain, you can get lucky. There are some other exposures but it would be hard to give you accurate directions. You can pull up the area on Google Maps and look for bare exposure. Plan on doing some moderately difficult hiking. The results can pay off but it takes persistance. Good luck!

Thanks for the help! And arnt the concretions right in the creek or eroding out of the creek banks?

A guy that i bought some rocks from said that is was right off of hwy 80.

And i would like other site location, because the park limits the number of fossil to only one 5 gal bucket

Edited by frozen_turkey

The actual mazon creek is on private property and it is very difficult to get permission to collect. Some people try and sneak in but the police keep a pretty close watch on the area. You will get fined if you are caught in there without permission. The site off of i80 is known to collectors as chowder flats. This is due to the high concentration of fossil clams found at the site. Unfortunately, this site is almost completely gone as it is being developed for a subdivision. The only chance you will have is when they are digging foundations. I still think your best bet is Mazonia. Unless you are planning to collect for several days, it is highly unlikely that you will find a buckets worth of concretions. This time of year you will be lucky if you find a gallons worth in a day. Even if you find more, I have never heard of them enforcing the five gallon rule. Good luck!

The actual mazon creek is on private property and it is very difficult to get permission to collect. Some people try and sneak in but the police keep a pretty close watch on the area. You will get fined if you are caught in there without permission. The site off of i80 is known to collectors as chowder flats. This is due to the high concentration of fossil clams found at the site. Unfortunately, this site is almost completely gone as it is being developed for a subdivision. The only chance you will have is when they are digging foundations. I still think your best bet is Mazonia. Unless you are planning to collect for several days, it is highly unlikely that you will find a buckets worth of concretions. This time of year you will be lucky if you find a gallons worth in a day. Even if you find more, I have never heard of them enforcing the five gallon rule. Good luck!

Thanks! Ill head down there next week and i was considering spending a day and spending a night either sleeping in a tent or in my car. And collecting some stuff i know about on the way back.

Im kinda bumbed though. I thought that it was this huge formation and stuff. Also if you have some areas that you want to keep secret then pm me please. Im wont take alot and i wont be back to the spot most likly. And i wont spill the beans of your sites. Or if you want we can swap site info.The info would be greatly appreciated, and i could use a good fossil trip after the last one i went on.

Thanks

-Frozen

PS Trust me i know some cool and awesome sites if you want to swap.