Books On Fossils

Jimi

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for books on fossils and geology of Missouri. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jimi

Google Bruce Stinchcomb, he is a retired geology professor from St. Louis, and has written a number of books on fossils. They cover fossils worldwide, but feature much material from his collection, which is mostly from Missouri. He has written one on stromatolites, one on the paleozoic (has fossils similar to yours), two on the cretaceous, and one on the cenozoic, and I think he is going to write another. I believe they are published by Schieffer (sp?), are soft bound, and around $30 each, with outstanding pictures. The Forum's own "X-man" has several pictures of his collection in the series, and my own beautiful backside can be seen working a hole.

Also, go to the Association of Missouri geologists website, specifically the field trip section, and you will find free guidebooks from their past meetings, many of which took place around here.

http://missourigeologists.org/FieldtripsandGuidebooks.htm

Also the United States Geological Survey has an office in Rolla, and they have a plethora (school's starting, have to use fancy words again) of information and maps on S.E. Missouri. I have a copy of

"Dinosaur" Dan Stewart's personal map from the late 1920's from around Advance, where he handwrote notes of what he found in that area on the map itself. (Dan Stewart was the discoverer of the Chronister dinosaur site in Marble Hill, the only known dino site in Missouri-which is now owned by Bruce Stinchcomb, mentioned above).

Well that is your homework assignment for the week-let me know when you need more.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen