Largest Mako Shark Tooth Ever Found?

meg123

I was wondering what is the largest mako tooth ever discovered and how big it is? If you have pics of it please post them.

a member on here has the largest i have seen he goes by the name isurus90064 the tooth is around 3.5"

fred plumb has a huge mako from lee creek, I forgot how big he said it was but its a monster. well over 3"

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I think the one from Fred is around 3 3/8". What makes it so exceptionable is the width.

The largest all natural mako tooth I have seen was 3.53". However, Gary Dye once posted a 3.58" Mako tooth on ebay, that had the root corner reconstructed (the longer edge!).

So I would go for 3.53" for the largest I have seen.

• I found this Informative 1

I can't find my digital calipers at the momment but I do have two uppers at 2 5/8 and a lower at 2 11/16. I also have a few around 2.5" and the one upper Mako tooth I wear around my neck is just over 2.5"

I just seen an auction on ebay that had a lower at 3"

Mako's are my favoritre tooth and I really want a 3" tooth for my collection.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I've never seen one larger than Mark's, but have heard of a 3 9/16" upper. Mark and I also have 3 3/8" lowers, and I think that Isurus has one from Bakersfield that is a hair larger.

post-1261-031751100 1281882167_thumb.jpg

post-1261-010196700 1281882202_thumb.jpg

I've never seen one larger than Mark's, but have heard of a 3 9/16" upper. Mark and I also have 3 3/8" lowers, and I think that Isurus has one from Bakersfield that is a hair larger.

Wow, my lower and yours look soooooooooo much alike!!!!

post-319-056039400 1281898437_thumb.jpg

I think the one from Fred is around 3 3/8". What makes it so exceptionable is the width.

The largest all natural mako tooth I have seen was 3.53". However, Gary Dye once posted a 3.58" Mako tooth on ebay, that had the root corner reconstructed (the longer edge!).

So I would go for 3.53" for the largest I have seen.

Big2th (Fred) has a great collection. I wish he would frequent more often :(

I know that a couple HUGE makos were in the collection of Doug Donald, and now belong to a new owner (you know who you are you lucky bum!) :P:D . I know they pushed past 3.5 but how far, I'm not sure. :wacko: I know that Fred would know.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigchaka

I was wondering what is the largest mako tooth ever discovered and how big it is? If you have pics of it please post them.

the largest one i ever saw with my own 2 peepers was 6.78 inches

are you sure this was a mako sharks tooth and not a megalodon

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Um..."Mako" = Isurus.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How about 6.78 centimeters?? :)

Yeah, but that wouldn't even be 3 inches... :blink:

he did say it was the largest he has seen so that could be right.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Yeah, but that wouldn't even be 3 inches... :blink:

True, but he's only stating it was the largest one "he'd" ever seen. Granted that's not too large but sure as heck it was not pushing 7 inches. Maybe just a temporary confusion of mako and meg sizes.

Edited by fossilselachian

True, but he's only stating it was the largest one "he'd" ever seen. Granted that's not too large but sure as heck it was not pushing 7 inches. Maybe just a temporary confusion of mako and meg sizes.

Right, but then again. The topic was about the largest mako tooth ever found and not seen by a single person...:-)

If I ever purchased a tooth. I would want to know where, when, and how it was procured. Just selling a tooth without its history makes it worthless to me.

That Mako tooth cost a fortune. Yet there is no other information about it.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Three and a third is not too shabby. Look how pretty these are:

http://www.megateeth.com/product.php?item=13151 I would take anything over 2 inches!!! :rolleyes:

Those are the largest I have found. I would never sell them but in order to post them on my site I had to put a price in. They are two of my top 5 favorite teeth that I have.

Those are the largest I have found. I would never sell them but in order to post them on my site I had to put a price in. They are two of my top 5 favorite teeth that I have.

Hey Bill, which are the 3 others??? :-)

• 7 years later...
On 8/29/2010 at 5:49 PM, Auspex said:

Um..."Mako" = Isurus.

Hi Chas.,

In 2010 as you note, a lot of people were still going with Isurus for the teeth being shown in this thread.  Now, the prevailing opinion over the past few years, the name would be Carcharodon hastalis.  That's not to say that Isurus didn't reach large size but I think the biggest one of those photographed is about 2 1/2 inches?  I think there's a recent thread about that.

Jess