Shark Tooth Collection

GreatWhite

How many have bought their teeth and how many have found them? What are some things to look for when looking to buy?

How many have bought their teeth and how many have found them? What are some things to look for when looking to buy?

i buy rare teeth from places I will never be able to find teeth myself, and everything else I collect. Condition is the biggest thing, does the tooth have any repairs or damage, everything else, size and color for example depends on what you like.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I have a mix of bought and found in my collection. I look for species, color, local, size, and condition.

Species: Species can make a huge difference in value and rareness. For example, a 4 inch perfect angustiden is worth about $200. A 4 inch and much rarer auriculatus is worth in the thousands. These teeth are often confused and rics are more sought after.

Color: I don't like the typical gray megs of the oceans but am looking for beautiful complexity in color such as the red site, bone valley, and peruvian teeth. These are a piece of art and not just a fossil.

Local: Because of the amount of teeth from a certain area or if the area allows no collecting, these teeth can be a lot rarer. For example, Chile allows no exporting of fossils. Their teeth have quadrupled in value.

Size: Size makes a big difference in a tooth because of the rarity of the species at that size. A seven inch meg is worth tens of thousands more than a 6 3/4 inch meg.

Condition: I always want high quality (95%>) teeth. They are just so much more beautiful and valuable. A worn meg is worth five times less than a flawless one.

I hope this helps. :D

Yes, all this info is helping me. For whatever reason I was under the assumption that everyone found their own. I never thought people hunted them and would sell them for a living(business). I guess I'm just ready to find a different variety than what I've found on the shore. Searching through millions of shells to fine a few teeth is ok but would like to eventually fine bigger teeth from different species and in different colors.

Yes, all this info is helping me. For whatever reason I was under the assumption that everyone found their own. I never thought people hunted them and would sell them for a living(business). I guess I'm just ready to find a different variety than what I've found on the shore. Searching through millions of shells to fine a few teeth is ok but would like to eventually fine bigger teeth from different species and in different colors.

The more time you spend in fossils the more I find one wants to get more, whether that's by finding them or buying them. I have found most of mine, but every now and then I buy a few pieces I wouldn't be able to get unless I traveled a long way, or I would never be able to find one in that condition. Most of the time I will trade up and sell my other fossils for something else I have my eye on. ;):D

yep, size, color, condition ( down to the little details), location, rarity, species, pathology, association, avalibility and trends.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I have a mix of bought and found in my collection. I look for species, color, local, size, and condition.

Species: Species can make a huge difference in value and rareness. For example, a 4 inch perfect angustiden is worth about $200. A 4 inch and much rarer auriculatus is worth in the thousands. These teeth are often confused and rics are more sought after.

A flawless, 4" Angustiden can easily get $1,250.

I'd like to find more and maybe improve size/quality of what I currently have but my goal is to have a nice variety. I'd trade finding a 100 of the same species and size teeth I have already found to find say, a 1.5in Mako, Hemi or serrated White.

I'd like to find more and maybe improve size/quality of what I currently have but my goal is to have a nice variety. I'd trade finding a 100 of the same species and size teeth I have already found to find say, a 1.5in Mako, Hemi or serrated White.

wouldnt we all, it just takes time to find the larger teeth.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg