Can Anyone Identify These?

Kristen

• New Members

I found these while my friend and I were climbing some rocks on a beach in Bermuda. I've been there three times and saw these same fossils, and was wondering what they were. Anyone know?Cruise098.jpg

Well, they sure look like trilobites to me (very old bugs). Cool find..

Check back as I may be wrong...

Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus
they are chitins.

Yep, they are a type of amphineuran. Anything from the Caribbean would be much too young to be trilobite as they all died off in the great extinction at the end of the Permian.

Yep, they are a type of amphineuran. Anything from the Caribbean would be much too young to be trilobite as they all died off in the great extinction at the end of the Permian.

Just looked them up, a first for me... They are pretty amazing looking.

Kristen, here is a link below that explains a bit about them.. they are sure cool looking!

Sea Slug

Welcome to the forum!

Just looked them up, a first for me... They are pretty amazing looking.

Kristen, here is a link below that explains a bit about them.. they are sure cool looking!

Sea Slug

They're all over the rocks on many beaches in California too. As a kid, I was amazed at finding living things that looked so much like trilobites!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

• New Members
They're all over the rocks on many beaches in California too. As a kid, I was amazed at finding living things that looked so much like trilobites!

Oh wait, they're living?

THey are living. They appear rock-like because they have a hard, chitinous outer shell. They don't move a lot because they tightly attach to rocks.

Guest N.AL.hunter

As an aside, the Chitin is being studies since their "glue" that holds them onto the rocks is so strong.

• New Members
THey are living. They appear rock-like because they have a hard, chitinous outer shell. They don't move a lot because they tightly attach to rocks.

Oh okay. That makes sence. Because I've been to Bermuda three times, and I've seen the same ones in the exact same spots. I always thought they were fossils.