Digging Help Question

keedler

Here is my question. If you are hunting an area where you are basically digging for fossils and say the fossil bearing range is many feet thick, what exactly is the best approach. Random digging in spots? This produced in the past. Or is it better to just make a grid and start digging and go as deep as you can get? Or is this a personal choice? This is more of a best practice kind of question. The reason I ask is that I read a post from a user who had hunted in this spot and it sounded like he basically marked off an area and then dug it out and transported it home for later sifting. Since it is so hot, and I am wanting to get out I have been thinking about maybe trying this approach (dig like a gopher and then go hide in the a/c). Anyway I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone had any preferences, or thoughts. Hope everyones weekend is exceptional. Thanks in advance.

What kind of digging are you talking about? On private land, in a quarry, along a creek? And are we talking consolidated or unconsolidated matrix? It's not uncommon for archeologists to dig test pits or trenches based on some sort of educated guess and then depending on what they find expand in the appropriate direction. They will also bag what they dig out and then sift it carefully for the little stuff. Taking bulk material home to sift thru in front of the tube is done by many.

:) What I like to do in a case like that is dig a couple of test pits until I hit something that peaks my interest.When I make a good hit then I go into a grid mode to try to find more of that type of fossil.

If I hit something better I mark the last spot off and work a new gridon the better find.The good thing about this is if it dosen't work out you can return to the old grid. :D

Bear-dog.

It the area you want to dig is where I think it is, I usually just pick an area and work it slowly to learn what is there and how to safely excavate it. I have seen others dig huge areas with abandon, leaving dangerous holes, causing unnecessary erosion, and destroying lots of fossils in the process. While there are visible and consistent layers, there are other spots with lenses of material that thin out to nothing. You may find something in one layer and 3 feet away, no trace of anything or the layer. Whatever you do, be courteous and refill your holes when done. And remember, 5 gallons buckets get proportionally heavier the farther you move uphill. B)

shovels are for those without access to explosives.

he's kidding, isn't he? somebody tell me he's kidding.

Eros, Its basically soft sand/clay/dirt with intermixed blocks of hard material.

Mike, Your correct in your quess of where I was I thinking about. I did hump one bucket home last time and it sure was along way to the truck. I will be sure and fill/level any holes.

Thanks

They way i find my stuff around here i just walk exposers and if any thing cool is sticking out like a 15 foot cepheopod ill excavate, but mostly ill just pick stuff out of cliffs. To me it is all funner and easier instead of digging a big hole and you might not find any thing good.