Bobcaygeon Formation

Nandomas

Hi everyone

I am looking for information about Bobcaygeon formation in Canada. Is it any chance to collect over there?

I am planning a trip in Ontario for the late spring, so this time I will start well in advance to collect infos.

Apart from trilobites, what can I found there?

THANKS IN ADVANCE B)

p.s. I am totally uninformed about Canada paleozoic

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hi everyone

I am looking for information about Bobcaygeon formation in Canada. Is it any chance to collect over there?

I am planning a trip in Ontario for the late spring, so this time I will start well in advance to collect infos.

Apart from trilobites, what can I found there?

THANKS IN ADVANCE B)

p.s. I am totally uninformed about Canada paleozoic

Unfortunately, you're too late. Any quarries that are into the Bobcaygeon are now off limits for collectors. You might find a few small exposures here and there, but nothing like it used to be. We can still get the Verulam Formation for Ordovician fossils, and the Devonian sites at Arkona, west of London. Typical Verulam fossils are brachs, bryozoans, trilobites, bivalves, edrioasteroids, crinoids, gastropods and cephalopods

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Unfortunately, you're too late. Any quarries that are into the Bobcaygeon are now off limits for collectors. You might find a few small exposures here and there, but nothing like it used to be. We can still get the Verulam Formation for Ordovician fossils, and the Devonian sites at Arkona, west of London. Typical Verulam fossils are brachs, bryozoans, trilobites, bivalves, edrioasteroids, crinoids, gastropods and cephalopods

argh!!!!! :( :( :( . Anyway Thanks a lot N.Shark. have you never collected there?

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I had one great summer at one quarry, another was closed before I started collecting. Crinus had plenty of seasons there, as evidenced by the specimens on his website. The real sad part is that all these quarries are close to me, I just didn't know about them in time. The large Isotelus and Bumastoides in my trilobite gallery, as well as the Amecystis, Actinoceras, Cupulocrinus, Edriophus and Stenaster in my invert gallery are all Bobcaygeon formation. The very rare Cyclocystoid is from the same quarry, but from the Verulam formation

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Southern / Central Ontario has some of the riches fossil deposits... unfortunately because of liablity issues many quarries have shut their doors to collectors..... million of invertebrate fossil crushed into cement and road paving material... what a great loss for those who want to study this material.

PL

Where in Ontario will you be? The area that Northern Shark is talking about is Lake Simcoe. Most of those collecting sites have closed. The floor of the Jim Dick Quarry at Gamebridge is Bobcaygeon but not much being found there just yet. The Verulam above it has similar fossils. Maybe not the abundance of crinoids that occur in the Bob but a lot more trilobites. There are bobcaygeon and Verulam exposures in the Ottawa area. There are also a number of specimens from Hastings County, Ontario appearing on ebay so someone is getting stuff out. I think there is a quarry in the Belleville area that may be producing but I have never visited it. I have also heard of roadcuts west of Ottawa that are Bobcaygeon.

crinus