Meg Dorsal Fin

Nettuno

I stumbled on this while doing a search awhile back and have since found numerous references to this expedition however all the info was the same, so I was wondering if anyone knows more details or a photo of the dorsal fin.

"Hönninger invited German scientists and museum curators to Peru and in an expedition in the desert of Ica they managed to make one of the most important palaeontological discoveries of the century; the dorsal fin of a megalodon of 18 metres."

Source article

I'm assuming this is the museum, anybody been here?

My link

I had not heard of this, but there some amazing fossils in Peru; I don't know why we don't hear more about them.

I have to throw a foul at the image of "Megalodon" that accompanies the article, though:

post-423-007399400 1283096347_thumb.jpg

There may have been sharks that ate mosasaurs, but they weren't Megalodon.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had not heard of this, but there some amazing fossils in Peru; I don't know why we don't hear more about them.

I have to throw a foul at the image of "Megalodon" that accompanies the article, though:

yea but its still an awesome picture and this is the first time I have heard of this as well thanks.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

It's the cover of Oceans of Kansas.

post-3033-073196400 1283110060_thumb.png

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  November, 2016  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   April, 2019

Never heard about the article, but I wouldn't put too much weight to it.

The article is very short and still full of errors:

"The Megalodon: the largest thing to ever roam the oceans"

- What about whales, blue whale, anyone??

"The megalodon, scientific name charcarocles megalodo"

- Probably only a typo, still, it is an evident one

" a megalodon, extinct for 30 million years"

- Well, not exactly....

Also, why would they know that the shark was 18 metres long, if they only found the dorsal fin?

In order to make such predictions a much larger fragment of the shark has to be found, and if that really happened, I am convinced that anyone of us would have heard about it.