What Is Your Favorite Invertebrate Identification Book?

fossiljunkie

I'd like to hear some suggestions on good invertebrate books?. preferably good illustrations, photos.

my finds are almost 100 % vertebrate fossils but i certainly want to be able to identify invertebrates and expand my knowledge for when i hunt other sites and locations nationally.

any information and opinions are appreciated. B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Two books come to mind. First is "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker,and Fischer, 1952, McGrag Hill Book Company. It is kind of out dated but a great place to start. This book was used as a first course in Invertebrate Paleontology in most Universities for a number of years. Second is "Index Fossils of North America", by Shimer and Shrock,1944, New York, John Wiley and Sons Publisher. This is probably the most heavily illustrated fossil book available of such a general nature. Sometimes you can find this book for sale in Estata sales , second hand book shops, etc. If you find it you should buy it. Amazon lists this book for $100 - $300 depending on condition the last time I checked. The great thing about this book is that the fossils illustrated are index fossils.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Two books come to mind. First is "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker,and Fischer, 1952, McGrag Hill Book Company. It is kind of out dated but a great place to start. This book was used as a first course in Invertebrate Paleontology in most Universities for a number of years. Second is "Index Fossils of North America", by Shimer and Shrock,1944, New York, John Wiley and Sons Publisher. This is probably the most heavily illustrated fossil book available of such a general nature. Sometimes you can find this book for sale in Estata sales , second hand book shops, etc. If you find it you should buy it. Amazon lists this book for $100 - $300 depending on condition the last time I checked. The great thing about this book is that the fossils illustrated are index fossils.

JKFoam

Good choice JK!

PL

I'd like to hear some suggestions on good invertebrate books?. preferably good illustrations, photos.

my finds are almost 100 % vertebrate fossils but i certainly want to be able to identify invertebrates and expand my knowledge for when i hunt other sites and locations nationally.

any information and opinions are appreciated. B)

Gosh! All of my books have spines! :rolleyes:

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one.)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

haha, Brilliant!

I would also say those two books would be the best ones to have. You can usually find Index Fossils for around $90 bucks used. But it was almost always quite well printed and bound so even old ones tend to be in good shape. Almost all the plates are photographic and although many genera have changed the species and stratigraphy are still good. The other one by Moore is all drawings. But good ones and has good info about groups of fossils in general as well as individual species. I like it because the plates are mostly grouped by time period.

Another choice: MURRAY, J. W. 1985. Atlas of Invertebrate Macrofossils. John Wiley & Sons, NY. This is more world-wide but has excellent photos and descriptions.

hey i got a good laugh myself from that. thanks :lol:

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

haha, Brilliant!

I would also say those two books would be the best ones to have. You can usually find Index Fossils for around $90 bucks used. But it was almost always quite well printed and bound so even old ones tend to be in good shape. Almost all the plates are photographic and although many genera have changed the species and stratigraphy are still good. The other one by Moore is all drawings. But good ones and has good info about groups of fossils in general as well as individual species. I like it because the plates are mostly grouped by time period.

Another choice: MURRAY, J. W. 1985. Atlas of Invertebrate Macrofossils. John Wiley & Sons, NY. This is more world-wide but has excellent photos and descriptions.

thanks erose.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher