Shark Bite?

worthy 55

Guest Nicholas

I think it could possibly be a shark bite, but the scratches seem too numerous close together. I haven't seen any other "bite" fossils like it.

I've seen "serration scrapes" that were similar, but they were perfectly parallel, as would be the case from a serrated tooth. These marks are all headed in the same general direction, but some of them seem to converge. Under good magnification, are they also variable in depth?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes they are all about the same depth. The bone is the lower end of a Dugong rib. B)B)B):D

post-23-1209334554_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

I guess it would have to be a caveman seeing that this rib just came out of a phosphate mine. Don't ya hate that when that happen's :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's my bone!!!

Well what do you all think, shark bite or not? :unsure::unsure:B)B)B):D

I think they are likely to be shark bite marks, Worthy. They don't all have to be from the same shark at the same moment. Imagine several sharks scavenging a carcass, thrashing and biting in competition to strip flesh from bone.

Or, imagine one shark with a good bite on a rib-end, thrashing, multiple teeth sawing away to separate a bite it could swallow. Grim, but that's how sharks do it.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Must have been a shark if it's that old. Not much else (besides man) would gouge out a dugong rib.