August 2010 Invertebrate/plant Find Of The Month

JohnJ

August 2010 Invertebrate/plant Find Of The Month  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Place your vote for the Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

• Dolichoharpes reticulatus trilobite ? (Ordovician Platteville Formation) ? WI, USA
    • Unidentified bivalve ? (Late Cretaceous) ? CA, USA
    • Xanthilites macrodactylus var. pyrenaicus crab ? (Eocene Ilerdian stage) ? Aragon, Spain
    • Inoceramus sp. clam ? (Late Cretaceous) ? CO, USA
    • Thaleops laurentiana trilobite ? (Ordovician Verulam Formation) ? Ontario, Canada
    • Unidentified trilobite ? (Devonian Hungry Hollow Formation) ? Ontario, Canada
    • Clavatula asperulata var. tortonica gastropod ? (Miocene Burdigalian stage) - France
    • Goniopygus sp. echinoid ? (Lower Cretaceous Albian series) ? southern Europe

Several awesome fossils have crept out of the past. Which will be your choice for The Find of the Month?

The poll ends on Sunday, September 5th. You can also vote in our other Poll HERE.

1. Dolichoharpes reticulatus trilobite – (Ordovician Platteville Formation) – WI, USA

post-420-007988600 1283322598_thumb.jpg

2. Unidentified bivalve – (Late Cretaceous) – CA, USA

post-420-043836500 1283322646_thumb.jpg

3. Xanthilites macrodactylus var. pyrenaicus crab – (Eocene Ilerdian stage) – Aragon, Spain

post-420-034566900 1283322724_thumb.jpg

4. Inoceramus sp. clam – (Late Cretaceous) – CO, USA

post-420-032144800 1283322805_thumb.jpg

5. Thaleops laurentiana trilobite – (Ordovician Verulam Formation) – Ontario, Canada

post-420-099623400 1283322870_thumb.jpg

6. Unidentified trilobite – (Devonian Hungry Hollow Formation) – Ontario, Canada

post-420-031147900 1283322938_thumb.jpg

7. Clavatula asperulata var. tortonica gastropod – (Miocene Burdigalian stage) - France

post-420-034094000 1283323014_thumb.jpg

8. Goniopygus sp. echinoid – (Lower Cretaceous Albian series) – southern Europe

post-420-038416200 1283323083_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Tough Month..... Good Luck Everyone.... The Gastropod is so 'crisp' and still being in matrix..... It gets my vote.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Many good candidates this month. Tough choices.:blink:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Kinda confused why he labled mine as a clam. I thought that clams have 2 shells whill mine only has one?

Frozen,

The other half wasn't preserved or is still out there. BTW, that would have made a nice Cretaceous chowder back in the day! :D

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Frozen,

The other half wasn't preserved or is still out there. BTW, that would have made a nice Cretaceous chowder back in the day! :D

Acryzona

But none of the the stuff i found (even the well perserved ones) dont have a bottum shell. But anyway it is a huge freaken shell.

A very tough choice this month, good job everybody! :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

But none of the the stuff i found (even the well perserved ones) dont have a bottum shell. But anyway it is a huge freaken shell.

frozen, check out these images. You may be able to get a species ID from some of the links and you can also see complete specimens. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

frozen, check out these images. You may be able to get a species ID from some of the links and you can also see complete specimens. :)

I tottaly see what you mean now........dont i feel stupid. :mellow:

wow! tough choices, still nostalgia for the 'good ole' days of fossil hunting in the 90's makes the choice for me. Im a sucker for good memories :D

the unidentified trilobite from number 6 almost looks like a crinoid, i know its not but, sure looks like one

Had to go with the harpes trilo. Man, I wish I had one of those. I'm looking to expand my trilo collection. I'd rather trade then have to buy. Some thing out there are just too expensive for me right now.

All great entries!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

wow gastropod gets my vote but the others are still very nice

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Sorry MB and Eureka!

I really loooove gasteropods, and the Clavathula is one of my favorites...In fact, I have one from Poland:

Sorry MB and Eureka!

I really loooove gasteropods, and the Clavathula is one of my favorites...In fact, I have one from Poland:

Sorry! I forgot the pic!

post-62-019538000 1283513446_thumb.jpg

I know is less ornated, but still beautifull!

By the way, I have an enourmous, complete and nice Pecten (Iacobinus?/Benedictinus?)I collected during my holidays in August. The thing is, that I still haven`t take any pic of it, because is still in the collecting box (I haven`t got enough time to do nothing with the fossils).

Could I post it in the September invert find? It will be with no cleaning... :unsure:

Hi Moropus,

You made the right choice ;) ...it is a great specimen. From my point of view, one of the best findings of August.......and it might be the winner (fair winner).

Eureka

Man, that was a hard choice, but I went for a Trilo I've met once before in the end. I fell in love with him right away.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/