Sharks In The Chesapeake...

hokiehunter

I posted earlier this year that I had an encounter in my yak with a 6 or 7 foot bull shark near one of my favorite Calvert Cliffs spots. He was swimming in a large group of cow nose rays but no mistaking it was a bull shark as the water was clear and he was not more than 5 or 10 feet from me finning at the surface for a good 30 seconds. Well here's a little more proof for any of the doubters still out there. This guy was caught in the Potomac down to the south of the cliffs but same basic water characteristics. Anyways I thought it was interesting to see a big boy like this roaming the area and within easy distance to where lots of us hunt. I know I'll definitely be a bit more vigilant the next time I see a large gatherings of cow nose rays working close to my favorite wading spot...

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/19419

Cool story. I've heard of bull sharks being found hundreds of miles up in the rivers on the east coast.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

yes it definitely proves that us hunters have to keep our eyes open and be aware of dangers while fossil hunting. sometimes i get so involved i forget to keep my eyes open for things that crawl and slither around. easy to get wrapped up in the hunt. B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I know Cornfield Harbor well; it's immediately upstream from the swimming beach at Point Lookout State Park.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know Cornfield Harbor well; it's immediately upstream from the swimming beach at Point Lookout State Park.

wow my sister would swim right there when we would visit my uncles.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

wow was this in a fresh water lake?

Potomac River, near it's mouth on the Chesapeake Bay.

I've seen them considerably further up river than that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Last week I was in Buxton, NC on the Outer Banks.. In a kayak with my father in law, we were fishing for mackeral.. Out of the corner of my eye I see a big brown shadow coming up from my 6'oclock.. I look over and it's a 6ft Bull, big, fat brown bull. He was about 5ft to the side of the kayak heading our same direction. He then took a 90° turn in to us on a T-bone course. His dorsal was out of the water and everything. I yell "HOLY $@!" as he is about 1 foot from the kayak still coming in. My FIL looks over and sees him and yells "OH MY GOD!" hahahaaa

As he yelled, the Bull got spooked and dove straight down under our boat. He was so close I could have punched him in the head. It was pretty awesome.

About twenty mins later I caught a mackeral, and as I was reeling him in a spinner shark decided he wanted him. So now I have a 6ft spinner on my line, under our kayak. I had my knife out, I was going to slay him when he got to the boat but he ended up snapping my line. It was pretty freakin cool :)

It's only a matter of time that someone will catch one while fishing for stripers or catfish at Fletcher's Boat House in DC, especially if they are live lining shad or herring. As I've stated in previous posts, my family spotted a 7-8' shark while sailing near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge years ago and not long after that it was reported that someone caught an 8' bull shark near the Bay Bridge. I believe that person still holds the rod and reel record for a shark in the bay.

Kevin Wilson