Fossil Collecting Areas In Eastern Ontario

Ordovician_Odyssey

does anyone know any good spots for fossil collecting in the ottawa area or eastern ontario

-sm

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

does anyone know any good spots for fossil collecting in the ottawa area or eastern ontario

-sm

Try Etobicoke Creek on the west side of downtown Toronto. I lived downtown for a short while and rode my bike along the river and simply walked up the creek from where it feeds into Lake Erie. I think there's a park there. Paleozoic stuff. I got some nice straight cephalopds is all I rememebr. Have fun.

I have to admoit.. .I don't know the legalities of collecting there, but hey... its canada! How's that for an arroogant americentric thought? Let us know what yo find. We all love to look at fossils of all kinds.

• 1 month later...

Lol, you want to talk about legalities vs Canada and the US, should we talk about Sue and the US professional palentologist-led assault upon amateur collectors of all kinds???

As for collecting, I'd strongly suggest joining a local club. Lots of working quarries out there, but you need to be in a club to get in and to even hear about what's going on. There's also tons and tons of literature... get to a good library or start buying it. Local museums and university geology/paleo departments can also be a wealth of info.

Learn your local geology. Figure out what is found in what type of rocks. Then put miles on your car and miles on your boots, and you'll be surprised at what turns up. Persistence pays. Some people never collect enough to develop an eye for fossils... put in the time, figure out what you're looking for, and you'll be amazed.

B

I believe Northern Sharks is pretty pro when it comes to these areas, I assume he'll jump into this discussion when he sees it. :)

I believe Northern Sharks is pretty pro when it comes to these areas, I assume he'll jump into this discussion when he sees it. :)

Thanks Nick -no pressure now.

I don't know any sites around Ottawa, only closer to me and south. Ottawa is a 4 hour or more drive from the sites I know. There are fossils there, and nice ones at that, but specific sites are out of my travel radius

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

i have collected fossils at greens creek. there is a bridge on innes rd east of blair rd. orthocones and trilobite fossils can be found in the shale deposits there. also some parts of greens creek have nodules with fossilized fish in them

• New Members

also a couple of outcrops on the 416 between huntclub and fallowfield , there are also fossils to be found along march rd closer to almonte

Scan Google Maps and cruise Google Street View. It's amazing how many exposures turn up.

Context is critical.

Try Etobicoke Creek on the west side of downtown Toronto. I lived downtown for a short while and rode my bike along the river and simply walked up the creek from where it feeds into Lake Erie. I think there's a park there. Paleozoic stuff. I got some nice straight cephalopds is all I rememebr. Have fun.

I would also recomend creeks in Toronto, but it is a bit of a drive from Ottawa...