Fossils In Ontario - Guelph Area ---> Any Good Sites?

Maddy

SO we've officially started the Guelph University Geosciences club and now we're looking for places to feild trip. Id love to go to Arkona, but it's about 2 hours away... Guelph and the surrounding area has great limestone caves.. the escarpment.. etc.. Does anyone have any hotspots they know of in this vicinity ? I'm talking like max 2 hr drive because it's more difficult to coordinate the farther away it is and we're just starting out !

THANKS EVERYONE !

:) Never been up there ,but try these.

http;fossilsitesm/StatesON.htm.

http://www.sciencem.../MPS/sites.html.

Keep in mind these are old websites so you may have to scout out your choices out ahead of time.You go girl find a bunch of goodies.Happy hunting. :D

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Arkona, despite the drive, is probably your best bet. I know there are fossils around Guelph, as someone showed me a sponge(?) they found in the area. I don't know of any specific sites, and the sponge was found in a farmer's field. Do some homework, and you might find someplace, but Arkona is loaded and well worth the travel time

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Arkona, despite the drive, is probably your best bet. I know there are fossils around Guelph, as someone showed me a sponge(?) they found in the area. I don't know of any specific sites, and the sponge was found in a farmer's field. Do some homework, and you might find someplace, but Arkona is loaded and well worth the travel time

I'd underline that! It's really worth the trip. I came all the way from Germany to go there. As far as I know, there's not much in the Guelph area, although you could try to get permission to collect in the old Guelph Dolime Quarry. I believe one used to be able to find both minerals and fossils there.

Good Luck!, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Maybe it is just a silly question: What about collecting in Arkona during March? Is it really so cold? :sick:

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

In Ontario fossil hunting access is very limited due to denial of access by quarry operators..... most of the good fossil sites are under control of parks or conservation authorities which bans collection of fossils.... not much to choose from....

Arkona is the place to fossil hunt with regards to easy access, abundance of fossil... was there for the last 3 days despite +2hrs drive one way... well worth your while to visit.

PL

Edited by pleecan

Maybe it is just a silly question: What about collecting in Arkona during March? Is it really so cold? :sick:

March would be iffy. It could be a nice day, or it could be cold and miserable. Arkona is not a good place to be if it's the latter. It's a clay pit, and if it's wet, it gets very sticky, and very slippery.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

well in march there might still be snow cause in ottawa we usualy have snow until april

but yes it would be cold and probably wet

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

SO we've officially started the Guelph University Geosciences club and now we're looking for places to feild trip. Id love to go to Arkona, but it's about 2 hours away... Guelph and the surrounding area has great limestone caves.. the escarpment.. etc.. Does anyone have any hotspots they know of in this vicinity ? I'm talking like max 2 hr drive because it's more difficult to coordinate the farther away it is and we're just starting out !

THANKS EVERYONE !

how about eganville and the bonechere area they have nice fossils...good luck with finding a spot. theres also a shale pit in montreal. so ya

-Shamus

Eganville from Guelph would be a weekend trip, 4-5 hour drive each way I'd guess

• 2 months later...

Eganville from Guelph would be a weekend trip, 4-5 hour drive each way I'd guess

what guelph are we talking about? (im thinking of hudson bay)

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

what guelph are we talking about? (im thinking of hudson bay)

There's a city named Guelph on the Hudson's Bay? With a University? Strange that I've never heard of it. It doesn't seem to show on Google Maps, can you give an idea of where to look for it?

Don