Need Other's Viewpoint.

bear-dog

B) I have hunted fossils in Florida for...just say a long time.Something keeps poping up that makes me think.The matrix I usually hunt in is dirt[sand].All you have to do to remove the fossil is gently pull it out.

From time to time I run across the same matrix compacted to the point of being like cement.You have to break the section away containing the fossil and use a dremmel to remove it.What causes this?It seems strange to have the same matrix,one loose and the other rock hard.

I am open to suggestions as I am stumped. :D

Bear-dog.

Recrystallization of dissolved calcite, from the fossils and surrounding matrix, often cements the sand grains, producing a hard lens.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

:) Thanks very much.It just seemed odd how you could get the same fossils in the same dirt ,but have such a hard time removing the fossils from the same type dirt. :D

Bear-dog.

• 3 weeks later...

Recrystallization of dissolved calcite, from the fossils and surrounding matrix, often cements the sand grains, producing a hard lens.

basicly sandstone jr.

basicly sandstone jr.

That's a pretty good analogy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!