Winner Of The August 2010 Vertebrate Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

post-420-009900100 1283745002_thumb.jpg

The Winner of the August 2010 Vertebrate Find Of The Month is an unidentified dolphin skull found in the Miocene / Early Pliocene Tangahoe Formation of Taranaki, NZ! Congratulations Dave (POM) Allen! We all hope to see more of this important skull as research and prep work continue.

Thanks to everyone that shared your finds this month.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congrats on your win! That skull is amazing. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Congratulations on a great find and great prep work.

post-420-009900100 1283745002_thumb.jpg

The Winner of the August 2010 Vertebrate Find Of The Month is an unidentified dolphin skull found in the Miocene / Early Pliocene Tangahoe Formation of Taranaki, NZ! Congratulations Dave (POM) Allen! We all hope to see more of this important skull as research and prep work continue.

Thanks to everyone that shared your finds this month.

DavePOMallen.... Congratulations....I had to 'flipper' coin to decide this category... nice find and keep us posted.... :goodjob:

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Excellent find and sure hope you give us any updates

on it regarding it's ID..

Welcome to the forum!

That is truly an amazing fossil and well deserved of VFOTM, congrats!!!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Guest BOHUNTER

CONGRATS!

I look forward to making a nice entry one day soon! Probably be the month everyone finds a Fully articulated vertebrate though, and Im here with a Camel tooth! LOL Awesome find, one thing is you cant find it sitting at a computer all day!

CONGRATS!

I look forward to making a nice entry one day soon! Probably be the month everyone finds a Fully articulated vertebrate though, and Im here with a Camel tooth! LOL Awesome find, one thing is you cant find it sitting at a computer all day!

wow amazing find! congrats!! :D

-shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words .I am going to stop entering this and give others a chance, i am finding material worthy of entry all the time, but will just find other ways of sharing with you all.

I am off for a walk along the beach today and just dont know what i may find, 2 days ago found a nice seal jaw already tidied it up and it look awesome heres a quick shot of it. Happy hunting all.

post-1182-002228400 1283981606_thumb.jpg

post-1182-040959700 1283981867_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave,

Congratulations! By the way, I can offer an identification now. This is a Delphinid odontocete, the group that includes "true" or oceanic dolphins. This is something fairly closely related to the extant genus Stenella.

And as for that pinniped jaw, that is a true seal (Phocidae), whereas the modern jaw is from Arctocephalus forsteri, the New Zealand Fur Seal (which is not a "true" seal, but much more closely related to sea lions).

Bobby

• 3 weeks later...