Lumpy Brach Id

hopster

Funny old lumpy bumpy brachiopod.

Carboniferous Visean c330MYA

post-410-1209481427_thumb.jpg

The 'wings' as I call them are actually part of the beastie so it is a good 4" across. The lhs has a little damage to it so she isn't ever going to be a beauty queen. :)

Any guesses to the ID?

(I keep thinking the 'pedicle' end looks like a nose with a pair of nostrils!

Thanks

Hop

“I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!”

Bill Waterson - Calvin & Hobbs

Funny old lumpy bumpy brachiopod.

Carboniferous Visean c330MYA

post-410-1209481427_thumb.jpg

The 'wings' as I call them are actually part of the beastie so it is a good 4" across. The lhs has a little damage to it so she isn't ever going to be a beauty queen. :)

Any guesses to the ID?

(I keep thinking the 'pedicle' end looks like a nose with a pair of nostrils!

Thanks

Hop

Can you post some more pictures of the fossil? It looks a lot as a Spiriferiid (S.Striatus?),but quite deformed...

Its too symmetric to be distorted. I looked at it for ages and I believe it is lumpy in its original form.

“I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!”

Nevertheless, can you post more pics? I think I could be wrong with Spiriferiid ID...I`m sure I see some of that stuff in one of my books,but wich one? I have a big library!!! :unsure:

By the way,that mountain in your emoticon sounds familiar to me.Is it a volcano from the Canary Islands?

I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere of a similar lumpy brach. I have searched but can't find it.

I have no idea what avatar volcano it is - I choose it from a page of rubbish ones! It does look a little like Teide (sp?) on Tenerife. I keep forgetting to upload my own avatar. I will post a few more pictures later.

Couple more shots:

post-410-1209548763_thumb.jpg

post-410-1209548772_thumb.jpg

post-410-1209548788_thumb.jpg

shows only noticeable distortion line

Hope these help.