Does Anyone Know Of Any Fossils In The La Area?

nickkcin11

The title says it all, if anyone knows of any area that has survived building booms, could you please let me know. Also another question, is Topanga still available to collect on?

SCPS continues to hunt Topanga. Check this out:

http://sites.google.com/site/scpaleo/Home/SCPS-Field-Trips

You might consider joining SCPS because you will get access to site info on areas from roughly Bakersfield to San Diego.

The title says it all, if anyone knows of any area that has survived building booms, could you please let me know. Also another question, is Topanga still available to collect on?

I've found petrified wood in the Santa Ana river, shell fossils in Laguna beach and one marine mammal bone ('bout a foot long) in Hacienda Heights. Oh yea and there are those tar pits ;) Just keep looking.

Edited by Scylla

SCPS continues to hunt Topanga. Check this out:

http://sites.google.com/site/scpaleo/Home/SCPS-Field-Trips

You might consider joining SCPS because you will get access to site info on areas from roughly Bakersfield to San Diego.

Siteseer is right ...I've belong to the SCPS for many years. We have our meetings at the Page Museum (La Brea Tar pits) every 1st Sunday of the Month except Aug. and usually the following

Saturday we have a field trip. Most of the field trips you can collect at a few you can't. Our next meeting is Sunday Oct. 3rd at 1:30

I was a member of SCPS in the 90's and have been thinking of rejoining even though I'm too far to make the meetings or the field trips. I know one of the trips is a behind-the-scenes tour of the Page. That must be interesting.

Siteseer is right ...I've belong to the SCPS for many years. We have our meetings at the Page Museum (La Brea Tar pits) every 1st Sunday of the Month except Aug. and usually the following

Saturday we have a field trip. Most of the field trips you can collect at a few you can't. Our next meeting is Sunday Oct. 3rd at 1:30

I was a member of SCPS in the 90's and have been thinking of rejoining even though I'm too far to make the meetings or the field trips. I know one of the trips is a behind-the-scenes tour of the Page. That must be interesting.

We just had the back room tour in July. It was a good one too...The museum is working on a nearly complete mammoth recently found during nearby construction. We toured the "Fish Bowl area" where they were working on it.

It's fun to see it all up close. We also had a close up tour and history of the some of the tar pits. This tour is worth the drive if your not too far away.

I was just there yesterday. Very cool place but it made me appreciate the peace river even more. I'll take sifting gravel in a river paradise over slugging through tar any day.

I was bit surprised that the mammal species were so similar to what I find in Florida on the peace. The dsplays were very helpful for understanding context of many of my finds.