Preparing Exogyra Specimen

NJ Mary Ann

Quick question from a newbie -

We found a nice exogyra specimen last year, and wanted to know if we should spray it with something to preserve it? Or is it better to just put it in a display box and leave it alone?

Thanks -

Mary Ann

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Guest N.AL.hunter

The Exogyras down here are usually very firm and don't need any preservative on them. We find them all over the cretaceous areas of Bama. Don't know if yours are solidified as well, so can't say for sure if they need anything on them. A cheap to use item is Future Floor wax (a liquid). It can be shiny so you might want to test it on a lesser specimen to see if you like the effect. Also, it can be diluted with water for less shine, or you can rub the specimen all over with your hands/fingers just before the liquid dries completely to make it less shiny.

To me, preping an Exogyra just means washing it in warm soapy water and brushing it with a soft brush or old tooth brush followed by a fresh water rinse. All you need to do is remove the loose dirt and its good to go.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks to you both - that's good to know. One of the other people collecting when we found it told us it would crumble if we didn't treat it with something, so we were worried, but afraid to treat it with the wrong thing as well. But it still seems pretty solid and not crumbly at all!! :rolleyes:

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to you both - that's good to know. One of the other people collecting when we found it told us it would crumble if we didn't treat it with something, so we were worried, but afraid to treat it with the wrong thing as well. But it still seems pretty solid and not crumbly at all!! :rolleyes:

Hi Mary Ann,

if you think the fossil will crumble you can always paint it with a very dilute, THIN, coat of PVA glue. I think it's called Elmers, or something like it, in the States. The glue will soak into the shell and consolidate and harden it. If you don't dilute it the glue will dry thick and glossy.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

ACK!!

Mary, never white glue! Bacteria will attack it and end up destroying the spec. Get some DUCO glue and thin it with acetone or use thinned shellac if you don't go the dissolved plastics route

Is Elmer's still bad? They don't make it from cow hooves any more, it's Polyvinyl Acetate (a synthetic).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
... or use thinned shellac

Shellac/polyurethane is an organic, and it will lead to degradation over time.

Is Elmer's still bad? They don't make it from cow hooves any more, it's Polyvinyl Acetate (a synthetic).

Apparently, Elmer's is PVA, but there are some casin glues out there. For that reason, I would avoid any "white glue", other than Elmer's.

Wow, and here I felt kinda dumb asking the question! Guess it was a good question after all - thanks, folks, for all the info! You may have all saved me from making a very sad mistake - it is a really nice Exo, and I would have felt awful if I had ruined it. I know they are not all that rare, but this one is in really good shape, and you don't often find them complete with their "lid" and all, around here in the public sites. Plus, we found it ourselves, which adds even more beauty to it (in our eyes!). I truly am interested to hear about all the different possibilities for preservation, and the potential problems....Really good info to have! Thanks again!

-Mary Ann