I Hit A Hot Spot!

MOROPUS

Lamellaptychus,Ammos,Belemmites,crinoid stems,brach....Oh my god!

First of all,I went with my wife to a city 5 hours driving from were I live,just on weekend holidays,visiting some friends there, on the east of Spain.We were talking, and one of them told me the was a mountain with a lot of "Shells and fossil snails".Blink! my intuition said me that was a good spot.So the next day,I left my wife (she`s not fossil friend!), and with my friend, we went to this site. :D The result: a lot of stuff (more or less, 3 kilograms), in only an hour an a half! Later,at home, I look down in a book, and found we were on a Calloviensean-Oxfordiensean boundary (Mid Jurassic-upper Jurasic).YIIPPPEE!!!! I will post some pics for you lately....

Yes, yes, yes, pictures please!

(And a geography lesson too, if you don't mind).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congrats Moropus. Finding a virgin hotspot is the cat's meow. That is where I focus much of my effort. I'm looking forward to your images as well. I've never collected a site that had ammonites, belemnites, and crinoids all in one spot. In the areas I've collected, most of the stalked crinoids (with a few Cretaceous exceptions) tend to be found in Paleozoic exposures, while the ammonites and belemnites tend to be in Mesozoic exposures. Then again I've had little or no access to Triassic and Jurassic sites. I look forward to learning from your images.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

WOW, most exciting to discover a fossil gold mine. I have caught part of

your excitement and want to see the pics! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Well,a promise is a promise! Here you have some pics.They are still unclean and no restoration yet.With a little time,I would be able to manage it!

First of all here you can see a Laevaptychus Latus.It is the biggest I found,and they were a lot!It was my first one ever!

post-62-1209546651_thumb.jpg

Some ammos:

post-62-1209546914_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209547028_thumb.jpg

Sorry but I will post more in a wile!

More pics!

Now,crinoid stems (especially,Pentacrinites and Balanocrinus ones):

post-62-1209547518_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209547422_thumb.jpgpost-62-1209547586_thumb.jpg

I will post more....

Cool stuff. I've never seen that faunal association before.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Pretty cool that you can find the really old, old stuff, and the newer in one spot.

Did the area have any signs of being disturbed? Maybe construction or digging?

You are so lucky, exposure must be covering several time elements.

You are lucky also that you have friends there as maybe you and your wife can go for a weekend,

and check it out further. Oh, did you get any pics of the place?

Welcome to the forum!

I prefer not to post any pic of the site.Otherwise,here in Spain,there are a lot of illegal trading,and they will destroy the site for sure.Sorry! But as you can see upwards,this place (I dindn`t know) It`s the really first Oxfordiensen part (Final Jurassic).But some kilometres down in the mountain,is Calloviensean,and fauna is complete different! Many brachiopods,Shells (Pecten),bigger belemmnite(in bits of ) no Laevaptychus and a low quantyty of Ammo.I will post more pics of them.

And no construction;It`s very far from cities or villages!

Oh yes, I wasn't thinking about a pic of the place on the web, good point, better

to be careful for sure.

I don't imagine there are many spots that are final Jurassic and then hop down

to the much, much, older. You are one lucky hunter!

Welcome to the forum!

How exciting to prospect a new site for the first time and uncover this!

Thank you for the pictures; I hope that you will make more discoveries at this site and share more photos.

Your decision to not publicize this discovery is a good one.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!