Shark Teeth

CreekCrawler

Looks like you need to have big pockets to hunt there. Very nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, how cool is that! Is it normal to find that many where you were looking, or did you hit a hot spot? I can't even imagine being able to find so many so quickly! Texas seems to be a great spot for fossil hunting!

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

• Members

There's some good colour in some of the teeth. Also, a 'Ptychodus'....that's quite the find.

No matter how great some fossils are, they can never beat the ones you find yourself. Every fossil outing usually has a couple of stories attached to it to make it memorable.

It was tons of fun, the funny thing is that I grew up only an hour away from this spot!! Driven over the bridge for about oh, 40 years! And never knew it was there! I could not believe my eyes after the second shovel full

had a nice whole tooth in it. I was stoked ! I guess that for every 15 or so sifting sessions there was a somewhat whole tooth. The round one was nice too! I'm not sure of the name yet.Maybe the ptychodos that geofossil mentioned. It looks like with some patience some pretty large teeth can be found there. They just need to be flawless!

Great place and best of all I read about it here on this excellent forum! :)

Nice Ptychodus whipplei. Because of their robust morphology they tend to hold up pretty well to being tumbled down the creek. There are supposedly some productive creeks exposing the Eagle Ford "fish tooth conglomerate" in addition to the best known in the area, Post Oak Creek. I believe Squirrel Creek and Baker Creek are also supposed to hold similar material with perhaps less collecting pressure. Keep your eyes open for lithic artifacts there as well, both in the bars and in the banks.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Daniel, maybe you can help me with an ID. I found what I believe is a fossilized egg in Brewster County Tx a couple of years ago while snake hunting. It is about the size of a goose egg. You can see the calcification bumps like on regular eggs, and reptile eggs. post-417-1209513384_thumb.jpg