Proof Of Concept

JimInAugusta

I have moved from Augusta, GA to Brunwick, GA. Recently I had a chat with my pest control guy that eventually morphed into a conversation about shark tooth hunting. Yeah, I'm that good at manipulation.

post-108-055664600 1284343996_thumb.jpg

He said if I kayaked along the banks of any of the salt water marsh creeks at low tide I should be able to easily find some reasonably nice teeth in the mud. If this seems like a sound idea would it make sense to concentrate my searches at particular areas of the creek like bends or forks? Should I look near the lowest point of the bank more than the middle or upper? Success could mean more contest fodder. Failure could mean more posts salted with Star Wars references and I am pretty sure no one wants that to happen.

Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them. Search out with your feelings.

If this seems like a sound idea would it make sense to concentrate my searches at particular areas of the creek like bends or forks? Should I look near the lowest point of the bank more than the middle or upper? Success could mean more contest fodder. Failure could mean more posts salted with Star Wars references and I am pretty sure no one wants that to happen.

Edited by siteseer

"teeth in the mud" sorta sounds like a good name for a rock band, or would that be a mud band?

i don't think finding teeth in the mud is all that likely as a general practice. the harder, heavier stuff in areas where water moves gets "sorted" and deposited in ways that, if you were a math and physics super-genius, could probably be worked out and explained with equations. but me, i've never studied fluid dynamics.

but the more you get out and explore places where shark teeth might be, the more you'll come to intuitively understand how all the sorting and deposition works and the more you'll start just knowing where to look and where not to.

but all other things being equal, if you can find areas of exposed gravel, shell, etc. to look at, you can look at a whole lot more and greatly increase your chances of finding things than if you're digging around in the mud hoping to feel a sharp something stick your finger.

be careful mucking around in mud where the tides run at the coast. ain't all that prudent a concept at times.