Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get To Shark River Site? (nj)

NJ Mary Ann

Hi all! We are trying to find out how to get to some of the fossil collecting sites in New Jersey. In particular, we would like to know about Shark River...I can find the park associated with it on the internet, but where do you go to look for fossils? Also, if anyone knows anything about the Inverness Pits, and how to get there, we'd appreciate information. I'm searching around for a good book or website that gives details about these kinds of things...any suggestions? That's a lot of questions packed into one post - sorry! Yesterday we went up to PEEC in Dingman's Ferry, PA which was fun, and we found some cool Devonian fossils, (and had to leave them there, since it is Federal land...sigh...) mostly some crinoids and brachiopods, and not the hoped for trilobite, but we did find a cool rock we can't ID...I'll post a photo later and see if anyone can help us. It was shiny black with very thin layers..being PA, perhaps it was anthrocite?

Thanks in advance for any help... :D

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Not sure if this site will help or not, but may be worth a try.

NJ Fossils here

There is an email at the bottom of the page

Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus
Yesterday we went up to PEEC in Dingman's Ferry, PA which was fun, and we found some cool Devonian fossils, (and had to leave them there, since it is Federal land...sigh...)

I found this regarding the removal of fossils from federal land. It is from 96, but I am thinking it is still the policy. Does anyone know of anything more recent?

H.R. 2943, known as the Fossil Preservation Act of 1996, applies to lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management, the Forest Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the Corps of Engineers. All other federal and Indian lands are exempt. Two types of collecting are identified. Reconnaissance collecting in which less than two square meters of surface are disturbed, and quarrying which includes all other forms of collecting. A permit is required for all quarrying, while permits for reconnaissance collecting are only required under special conditions.

and

Under current USFS and BLM regulations, recreational and scientific collection of invertebrate fossils and petrified wood does not require a permit, but collection of vertebrate fossils is restricted.

http://www.agiweb.org/gap/legis106/fossilu...html#background

I interpret that to mean as long as the pieces aren't put up for sale, they can be collected.

Guest N.AL.hunter

The inverts and wood/plant material can be surface collected, as well as shark teeth. All other vertebrate stuff you are supposed to have a permit for when on federal property. I think that is what the rules are for BLM lands. It has been a while since I have collected on them, so make sure first. Scientifically speaking, the law is silly. They make it seem that only vertebrates are important enough to keep out of the hands of the amateurs, but in reality, it is usually the invert fossils that are more important to the paleontologist.

My belief is that they need to do a list of important species, sort of like the endangered species list. If it is on the list, and you find one, contact the authorities, if not on the list, it is yours (unless it is a new species then you should turn it over for study anyways). For example, Oreondont skulls/bones. I doubt that there is a need for any more of those for study purposes, so they should be collectible by amateurs. Same for all those weathering to bits land turtles in the badlands of Neb., Wyo., Dakotas.

Sorry for getting on a rant.

Very interesting...I would never have thought of going to find the verbiage of the law itself...All the signs said "Please do not remove any of the fossils from this area. Remember you are in National Park." I'll do some further research and see if that is actually a rule or just a request. But it is actually a more interesting subject than I had realized, and worth investigating with the kids so they can form their own opinions about the matter and understand why sometimes laws are effective, and why they sometimes don't achieve their loftier purpose. Very thought provoking.

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Ah, in your first post you said 'Federal lands'. National Parks and Monuments have a different set of rules. Basically you may take nothing from those areas; don't even pick a flower.

OK, got it...I am still interested in finding the verbiage, but I believe the signs meant what they said!

Sorry I wasn't more specific. This park was under the auspices of the National Park Service. I can see that the rules are different for land based on which federal entity is in charge, because they each have a different mission...the Park Service wants the park and its resources available for everyone to see and enjoy. BLM and NFS lands are operating under different rules and missions.

-Mary Ann

Guest solius symbiosus

While one is not to take pieces from parks, once I was in a park and found a beautiful, nearly complete, trilobite sitting on a ledge beside a steam. It was dumb luck that I happened to be looking down when I did.

Hi all! We are trying to find out how to get to some of the fossil collecting sites in New Jersey. In particular, we would like to know about Shark River...I can find the park associated with it on the internet, but where do you go to look for fossils? Also, if anyone knows anything about the Inverness Pits, and how to get there, we'd appreciate information. I'm searching around for a good book or website that gives details about these kinds of things...any suggestions? That's a lot of questions packed into one post - sorry! Yesterday we went up to PEEC in Dingman's Ferry, PA which was fun, and we found some cool Devonian fossils, (and had to leave them there, since it is Federal land...sigh...) mostly some crinoids and brachiopods, and not the hoped for trilobite, but we did find a cool rock we can't ID...I'll post a photo later and see if anyone can help us. It was shiny black with very thin layers..being PA, perhaps it was anthrocite?

Thanks in advance for any help... :D

Mary Ann,

Do you by any chance mean Inversand pits? I have to look to see if i have directions but try blackriverfossils.org..if i remember the website correctly. People there may be able to help you. Same thing with shark river...I live in NY but collect in Pa and NJ quite often. We might be able to meet up and collect one day. You are being a great mom to encourage your son to keep collecting.

Mike

Mary Ann,

Do you by any chance mean Inversand pits? I have to look to see if i have directions but try blackriverfossils.org..if i remember the website correctly. People there may be able to help you. Same thing with shark river...I live in NY but collect in Pa and NJ quite often. We might be able to meet up and collect one day. You are being a great mom to encourage your son to keep collecting.

Mike

Hi Mike, Yes, you got it right, what I really meant was Inversand pits! I had heard someone talking about it but got the name wrong.

By all means let us know if you are ever going out collecting!

I'll check out the Black River WebSite...I don't think they posted directions, but I might be able to email them to ask ...

-Mary Ann

Hi Mike, Yes, you got it right, what I really meant was Inversand pits! I had heard someone talking about it but got the name wrong.

By all means let us know if you are ever going out collecting!

I'll check out the Black River WebSite...I don't think they posted directions, but I might be able to email them to ask ...

Hey Mary Ann,

No no directions on that site but i think they have trip reports, or something like that. You could talk to poeple on that site to ask for directions. I am pretty sure they'll tell you about the Shark River. You might have a problem getting info about invrsand pits. I remember being able to find the info in the past, but i didnt need it and so i have no idea where i found it from. I think there is also a museum or a club that guides tours in there, again, dont remember which one.

msg me for directions to Shark River. Inversand is an operational mine and you can only collect on club trips or NJSM trips.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Tooth,

Spent a bit of time checking NJ links, and mygawd!! Looks like most of the state has formations with fossils. It will definitely be on my list once I hit the road

Hey Toothpuller, just noticed you were from the Soprano state!! Thanks for the info about Inversand, guess I will have to watch for a trip. I know I just missed the one the museum did...I'll message you for directions to Shark River. Thanks a bunch everyone for all the helpful info!!

Mary Ann and the boys

-Mary Ann