Did Mosasaurs Have Forked Tongues?

Nandomas

I was always thrilled by relationship between modern Varanus and Mosasaur, here a couple of pdf about this:

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.121.1319&rep=rep1&type=pdf

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu1/rieppel2000.pdf

post-1112-053168000 1284659957_thumb.jpg

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I was always thrilled by relationship between modern Varanus and Mosasaur, here a couple of pdf about this:

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.121.1319&rep=rep1&type=pdf

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu1/rieppel2000.pdf

very very useful link both for modern comparative antomy and palaeontology, thank you ;)

P.S. nando di dove sei ?

i was wondering this the other day when i was sketching one! thanks for the pdf. i hope i find time to read it all the way through!

-Emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Aren't fork tongues for smelling particles in the air? And the Mosasaur was a reptile that live in the water so it would not have much of a benefit to have a fork tongue. Idk,I could be completely off about this?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Aren't fork tongues for smelling particles in the air? And the Mosasaur was a reptile that live in the water so it would not have much of a benefit to have a fork tongue. Idk,I could be completely off about this?

good question! i'm wondering if mosasaurs developed a similar sense to "taste" seawater. plausible, but it would cause a lot of dehydration. Then again, marine reptiles such as marine iguanas have efficient salt excretion systems. I'm also wondering if the tongue wasn't forked because of hydrodynamics. Does anyone have a background in sea snake anatomy or that of other marine reptiles? Gah I'm so excited to read the pdf. I just super-skimmed it.

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

This was also my thought when I saw the title of this thread. I've personally never thought about the idea, but I don't see why an aquatic reptile would have needed a forked tongue.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

good question! i'm wondering if mosasaurs developed a similar sense to "taste" seawater. plausible, but it would cause a lot of dehydration. Then again, marine reptiles such as marine iguanas have efficient salt excretion systems. I'm also wondering if the tongue wasn't forked because of hydrodynamics. Does anyone have a background in sea snake anatomy or that of other marine reptiles? Gah I'm so excited to read the pdf. I just super-skimmed it.

Very interesting questions :)

I guess it's asking for the 'possibility' of having forked tongues. The long gone marine reptiles, expect for sea turles, sea snakes, and crocodilians are all but gone. So, you have to ask yourself if it is possible by comparing, but really a true comparison can not be made, at least imo. ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 3 weeks later...

Having eaten this bread bifide, was it easier to speak French ?

:lol: :Bananasaur:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Having eaten this bread bifide, was it easier to speak French ?

:lol: :Bananasaur:

Coco

sure Coco, my French :) is going better after the brunch with the bifid bread... the only problem is that I began to be a liar :blush::P:unsure:

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

sure Coco, my French :) is going better after the brunch with the bifid bread... the only problem is that I began to be a liar :blush::P:unsure:

AHAHAHAHA

Your killing me man.

:laughing on the floor 24: :laughing on the floor 24: :laughing on the floor 24:

Cross-cultural translation:

"Speaking with a forked tongue" is American slang, commonly attributed to the Native Americans, for lying.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi !

In France, we say somethink near you say : "avoir une langue de vipère" = to have a spiteful tongue. It means : to say nasty things on somebody. "Vipere" is a kind of snake.

If a day I go in Italy, I would bring some "bifide" bread to help me to speak Italian ! :D

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg