Theft Alert: High Quality Didymoceras Stolen

siteseer

I got a message from an old friend that someone broke into his house and stole a really nice Didymoceras nebrascensis (heteromorph ammonite - corkscrew shape). Either another friend or I will upload a photo of it. Also stolen was a megalodon tooth (roughly 5 1/2", black, South Carolina river tooth, nice serrations) and a modern "liger" skull (lion and tiger hybrid). I don't have the measurements for that yet but it would be roughly 15-16 inches (large for a lion). I realize the meg would look like a lot of other teeth but the Didymoceras and the liger skull are unique pieces with distinguishing characters.

I would appreciate it if everyone would keep their eyes and ears open for similar specimens coming on the market in the near future and let me know if anything like them is offered for sale somewhere.

Thank you.

Here's the photo of the stolen Didymoceras. It's in killer shape with minor repair. I'll get the details on any restoration on it.

Please let me know if you see this for sale or trade or as someone's new "acquisition."

Thanks,

Jess

post-1482-058077200 1284957621_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteseer

Noted, with eyes wide open.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) Will keep both eyes open.For the forum membersmuch in the same boat,[i am working on my second fossil collection due to theft.]Check with your sheriffs dept.,they have a kit with micro numbers in a vial of adhesive.The kit also has a small blacklight to make the numbers glow and a magnifying glass to read the numbers.

They look like tiny specks of black pepper.You put them on your valuables so should you have this happen you have a written log of what you have marked and where it is marked on that item.Often it is your word against the crooks. Down here fossils dont mean anything to the law so yor have to go out of your way to prove they belong to you. :D

Bear-dog.

I got a message from an old friend that someone broke into his house and stole a really nice Didymoceras nebrascensis (heteromorph ammonite - corkscrew shape). Either another friend or I will upload a photo of it. Also stolen was a megalodon tooth (roughly 5 1/2", black, South Carolina river tooth, nice serrations) and a modern "liger" skull (lion and tiger hybrid). I don't have the measurements for that yet but it would be roughly 15-16 inches (large for a lion). I realize the meg would look like a lot of other teeth but the Didymoceras and the liger skull are unique pieces with distinguishing characters.

I would appreciate it if everyone would keep their eyes and ears open for similar specimens coming on the market in the near future and let me know if anything like them is offered for sale somewhere.

Thank you.

Sad event and even sadder it may be someone they know....

Welcome to the forum!

Count me among those that feel for your loss.

I will definitely keep an eye out for that ammonite. It'll show up somewhere.

-Brent

He was still in the process of ascertaining what was gone but those appeared to be the only items.

Did they steal just fossils? Just curious.

That is the saddest part. He is a good guy and a very low-key guy (if you take him to your secret fossil site, he doesn't tell anyone). He doesn't brag about his collection to anyone. Only the dealers he buys from or someone who has been to his house (family, friends) would know he collects fossils. He did joke that a mutual friend pointed at me as a prime suspect. I laughed and answered I wouldn't know what to do with a Didymoceras. I couldn't sell it because he probably already knows the few people who would put up the money for a nice one. It's tough to unload ("Pawn Stars" wouldn't buy it because it's not a quick turnaround) and it will be noticed if it surfaces on the market. The thief would be better off finding a way to give it back.

Sad event and even sadder it may be someone they know....

siteseer..... I'm sorry to hear of your friends loss and I hope he is reunited with his fossils.... the trouble is this thread will now vanish into the oblivion on the site loop.... would it be a good idea if there was a locked topic for stolen fossils at the head of general fossil discussion where maybe there are just the photos and descriptions of any material stolen from the site members.... this way they are always going to be seen and it would help I think..... Just a thought.... I know this kind of thing has happened previously and the threads just filter away and are forgotton....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

there is a search function on the forum. you can type in "stolen" and view the posts with that word in them...

Thats exactly my point..... nobody who visits the forum would ever search 'Stolen Fossils' but if it was pinned in your face all the time for everyone to see then I feel it would be so much more effective if viewed by everyone who visits..... fossil collecting is a small world and the market for quality material is even smaller.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I hope the police were called, due to the value, this skum bag could spend some serious time away from home. I pray to god that this person or persons hasn't felt remorse and disposed of the items where they will never be found. I agree that someone close had to know about them, some crackhead breaking in wouldn't take a rock and skull to pawn for a fix. If it is someone close they will have to keep them under wraps for a long time and move away from the area before bring them back into the light at some point. Or maybe they had a buyer out of the country before they were taken., the tooth could easily blend in or be sold at later date. I hope that the person or persons that have the items will just put them on the front porch and make a call that there returned--there is still some good in the world--just a hope--maybe.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Well, very sad indeed. You know, a lot of people grow up raised in a way that shows you the pain and frustration that comes with losing something you worked hard for. Some have never gained the respect for others who may have more than them, however worked very hard for it, or even worse, received something special as a gift that could be very sentimental. I wonder if it were one of those types of people or someone who knew what they were after. I could say all kinds of things here, but I will stick to wishing that the person thinks about what they have, and just dropps it someplace where they know it will make it back.

Theft is truly a sad sickness that haunts me daily, and leaves me counting my blessings Ive not had too bad of issues losing things to these types of people.

I hope something good happens, sincerely, Jason

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

I've been meaning to answer but was waiting to hear back from my friend. This material was stolen from a home in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.

Here's the update on what was stolen besides the Didymoceras:

A 5.5-inch, perfect C. megalodon tooth from a Florida river, blackish-blue in color.

A large nodule with numerous complete and partial Polytychoceras ammonites on it.

A large modern "liger" (half lion/half Tiger) skull about 15 inches long. It's in great shape and has very distinct horizontal grooves along the back of the upper canines (in life it had dragged the canines back and forth in its cage.

Also taken was $2200 in cash, a beautiful custom-made knife with a scrimshaw ivory handle, an LED flashlight, a backpack and 2 duffel bags.

The Polyptychoceras piece would be another specimen that ammonite collectors would consider highly unusual. If anyone hears about something like that (perhaps described as a "multiple heteromorph matrix piece" with another name or unidentified), please let me know.

Thanks,

Jess

what section or state was this stolen from?