Franklin Fossil/mineral Show

Darwin Ahoy

So, anyone else headed to the fossil/mineral show this weekend in Franklin, NJ. For anyone who's unsure, I put it here on the calendar, with a link to all of the information. I know we have lots of NJ/NY/CT members, after all.

I'll be there first thing Saturday morning, and MAYBE Sunday morning, too. There's also a garage sale the same days at Sterling Hill Mining Museum.

oh my goodness! I wish I could go so badly! Franklin, NJ is on my list of places to go. If you end up with any extra fluorescent minerals I'd gladly take them off your hands!

-Emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Emily, if you have a SW handy, and you like fluorescents, I already have quite a few, and will gladly send you some. I was hitting up Sterling Hill every month (they only open the pits to collecting on the last Sunday of every month) for a while, and have accumulated a little too much. I also have some zeolite material from the Upper New Street Quarry lying around, if you're interested...mostly "blah" stilbites, and some larger heulandite crystals, but I might have some other stuff I've forgotten about. Let me know.

Emily, if you have a SW handy, and you like fluorescents, I already have quite a few, and will gladly send you some. I was hitting up Sterling Hill every month (they only open the pits to collecting on the last Sunday of every month) for a while, and have accumulated a little too much. I also have some zeolite material from the Upper New Street Quarry lying around, if you're interested...mostly "blah" stilbites, and some larger heulandite crystals, but I might have some other stuff I've forgotten about. Let me know.

That's really nice of you :thumbsu:

I'd also like to ask, after you send her some things, if you'd be so kind as to send some extras my way :D (any minerals/rocks) I'd be willing to trade you fossils ;) mainly miocene shark teeth. Send me a pm :)

Also check out this link for the 46th mid atlantic gem and mineral show down here in MD. http://www.gemcuttersguild.com/

Sadly, I won't be going this year; I just have too much to do and it's leaving no money for cool gems or fossils.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

That's really nice of you :thumbsu:

I'd also like to ask, after you send her some things, if you'd be so kind as to send some extras my way :D (any minerals/rocks) I'd be willing to trade you fossils ;) mainly miocene shark teeth. Send me a pm :)

Also check out this link for the 46th mid atlantic gem and mineral show down here in MD. http://www.gemcuttersguild.com/

Sadly, I won't be going this year; I just have too much to do and it's leaving no money for cool gems or fossils.

No problem. Do you have a SW for fluorescents?

Unfortunately, Franklin may be my last show for a while. The house we're currently renting is up for sale, and is being looked at tomorrow. Time to start saving/trying to find a second job/trying to find an inexpensive place to live.

Edited by Darwin Ahoy

No problem. Do you have a SW for fluorescents?

Unfortunately, Franklin may be my last show for a while. The house we're currently renting is up for sale, and is being looked at tomorrow. Time to start saving/trying to find a second job/trying to find an inexpensive place to live.

You mean like a UV light? Then yes :D Anything you don't want, happy to pay for shipping or if we do a trade pay for what I ship to you. PM me and we'll figure it out ;)

yeah, I hear you about saying money and finding an inexpensive place to live. I just got railroaded by a higher bidder for a house I was trying to get a 30 year morgage on. Would have been good too. 161. 4.3 or lower, then Whack!!!! Oh, yeah, they made a deal with someone who paid completly in cash and the bank talked them into paying more than the asking price because someone else (ME!!!) was interested in it!!!! :angry::wacko: Oh well, made other arrangements. Just weeks before my wedding too :rolleyes:

There are different types of UV light, and most of what comes out of those quarries only fluoresces under shortwave.

As far as living situations, it's harder when you have to go it alone. Right now I'm with my brother and grandmother...as far as I know, she'll probably stay with my aunt or uncle, my brother's looking at getting a place with his girl, so that just leaves me :P NJ is expensive when you're alone! (or, in general)

There are different types of UV light, and most of what comes out of those quarries only fluoresces under shortwave.

As far as living situations, it's harder when you have to go it alone. Right now I'm with my brother and grandmother...as far as I know, she'll probably stay with my aunt or uncle, my brother's looking at getting a place with his girl, so that just leaves me :P NJ is expensive when you're alone! (or, in general)

nope, don't have a SW yet, but one day :)

Hope everything goes well for you :)

Made it to the show Sunday AM, had to change my shirt three times from all the drool. The fossils were good, but I have to admit the minerals were spectacular, some of those specimins would beat out major museum exhibits in a beauty contest. Didn't buy much since I'm trying to improve my living situation too (trying to sell so I can buy) and just don't want to move more rocks. for now.

Yes, especially a lot of the indoor vendors had some spectacular specimens. Unfortunately, I didn't bring along $15,000 for the giant aquamarine :P. I was a little disappointed in the fossils this time, though there were still some nice stuff, especially if you really poked around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure it is not possible to look into the short wave lamp directly! Direct short waves can cause burns (like sunburn) and damage your eyes. The light from the glowing fossils is no problem so you just need to make sure you can not directly see the lamp. If you build a display case put a baffle between the lamp and the window looking in. Also I believe using a plastic such as acrylic (Plexiglass) or polycarbonate (Lexan) will block a great deal of the short UV.