Fossil Hunting, Shark River, Nj

mopareddie

Hi gang,

I was wondering if anyone knew about hte Shark River location of Schoolhouse Lane west of the Garden State Parkway in Shark River Park. Is it good hunting and where do you park and where do you go? I would greatly appreciate some detailed directions to the river so I don't get lost once I get there. Let me say as a side note that the people on this forum are great and the amount of knowledge is fantastic. I especially like the fossil ID section, being an extreme newbie. When it's a rock you let me know. Thanks for all the past help with ID's.

Ed

Was just there today, actually. Once you get to the park, go to the shelter building...from there take the trail left past the playground, and into the woods. You will see a sign for "Bridge Loop"...follow that to (surprise, surprise) a little bridge...cross it and go left. Now, there will be a very small gravel bank to your left as you follow the trail. I've had some luck there finding some nice tigers and other common stuff. You can also continue along until you get to the trail of wooden planks. There will be a trail to the left that will lead you to the Garden State Parkway bridge. There is a large gravel bar under it, and some decent hunting there, too.

However, most people seem to go to the shelter building, and then down to the pond. The river runs right next to it, and is basically all gravel there, so there's no shortage of places to sift.

Shark River takes a bit of work, but if you persist, you should come home with at least some complete teeth of the more common species, like the two tigers, the sandtigers, lemons, etc. More than anything, just have fun...it's a gorgeous park, especially the fitness trail across the street.

Thanks Darwin. I am going to take a ride there some time next week. I appreciate the directions and maybe I will see you in the field one day. Thanks again.

Ed

Let me know when you're headed out, and perhaps I'll join you. I don't go to Shark River much (the tiny Cretaceous stuff whispers to me too much lately), but I'd take the detour if someone I know is headed out there.