Any Idea On What Type Of Shark Tooth This Is ?

worthy 55

If it is Cretaceous it would probably be a Scapanorhynchus texanus lateral.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Saw the same tooth on eBay yesterday. I think its some type of mackeral shark, maybe, but other than that, I'm lost :wacko:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I don't think it's cretaceous as this seller finds their teeth around South Carolina. I was thinking some kind of Sand-Tiger, but I still trying to nail it down. Nothing on elasmo.com seems to be an exact match.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Yes it is on ebay and I can't make it out either! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

It's my bone!!!

I don't think it's cretaceous as this seller finds their teeth around South Carolina. I was thinking some kind of Sand-Tiger, but I still trying to nail it down. Nothing on elasmo.com seems to be an exact match.

There is Cretaceous material in SC and in NC which they easily could also have collected. It could be Serratolamna sp. but I really think it looks more like Scapanorhynchus. Can someone pm me a link to the ebay page? Don't worry I definitely won't be bidding on it against any of you guys :>

I didn't know about the Cretaceous deposits there, so I went back to elasmo and found what may be a match. Toothpuller had the Goblin shark part correct, but it looks a lot like the Anomotodon plicatus that is pictured on the site. It says the age for that species is upper Cretaceous (Santonian-Maastrichtian), does that suit the deposits around the area????

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I didn't know about the Cretaceous deposits there, so I went back to elasmo and found what may be a match. Toothpuller had the Goblin shark part correct, but it looks a lot like the Anomotodon plicatus that is pictured on the site. It says the age for that species is upper Cretaceous (Santonian-Maastrichtian), does that suit the deposits around the area????

If you are basing that on the cusp shape all I can say is... don't. We do not get Anomotodon in the Cretaceous of NJ but all that I have collected of the genus (Eocene NJ, Eocene VA & Paleocene MD) are much smaller than Scapanorhynchus texanus which matches perfectly with the size of the mystery tooth. The cusp shape varies in Scapanorhynchus. I have teeth that look exactly like this one from NJ. Since Anomotodon extends into the Eocene, then perhaps it is more likely than Scapanorhynchus to be found in SC, but I can't say for sure. I still think it looks more like S. texanus. I know there are mixed age heavily reworked sites in SC that produce megs, modern great whites, as well as Cretaceous teeth.

-steve