Sloth Observation

Guest BOHUNTER

Guest BOHUNTER

I already said forget it. Ill keep my thoughts and observations to myself. The whole discussion was to be about a breakage, why or how. Not the determination if its a Megalynox toe or a Procyon Lotor baculum, I understand the name was wrong but the point wasnt for Bone Identification. I wasnt denying the bone id, just show me some images. The distal ends I have seen a huge compared to modern day animals the same size as a Bison. I was told it was Megalynox and had no reason to doubt, so it shocked me that it was Bison. Now we all know what the distal end of a Bison Looks like!

This is a fossil forum not an Archaeological forum, so any question or theories on usage or modifications will be directed on another site. Sorry to cause a hassle over a broken bone.

STEVE

No one jumped on anyone for a mis-identification; a mis-identification was corrected so that folks surfing the web that come across these pics here will not be misinformed.

As interesting a topic as your original inquiry was, the ID needed to be right, even if it had no bearing on the intended subject.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Back to the original question... I think there are way too many variables to consider, tons of research and probably years of schooling before someone could even attempt to guess on a question like that. I occasionally ask the paleontologists at the FLMNH what they think certain bite marks on bones I find is from, thinking they might be able to tell from the distances between teeth, etc, etc... Sometimes they will guess, but usually, even after the years and years of training they have, they just go "I have no idea".

So, about the question....I have no idea. The question would best be directed to a professional archeologist, but even then...I seriously doubt you'll get a correct answer.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I checked some references to try to get an idea of the size of a Pleistocene bison relative to a modern one but found only info on how much larger the horn cores were in Bison latifrons, an extinct species. The articles said only that it was a giant bison and/or that it was "larger" without a size range given. One reference did say that latifrons didn't just have larger horns, it had to have had a stronger neck and body to carry them so from that I can only assume the animal was at least 25% larger than the modern species, Bison bison.

The other thing I learned was that there have been multiple species and subspecies identified and that paleontologists are still trying to get a handle on their size ranges. Another note: B. latifrons was the largest but it had smaller teeth than those of some smaller species. It also appears that even among the species smaller than B. latifrons, there were individuals clearly larger than any seen in historic times.

The article with the most information on bison (and one with a good reference list) I found is:

McDonald, J.N. and G.E. Lammers. 2002.

Bison antiquus from Kenora, Ontario, and notes on the evolution of North American Holocene Bison. In Emry, R.J. Cenozoic Mammals of Land and Sea: Tributes to the Career of Clayton E. Ray. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology 93: 83-97.

Why is Bohunter banned? I hope that it was not for him asking a question about a bone. I am the one who told him that my example may be a Sloth. Unless some of the posts on here were moderated, I don’t see where he did anything other than ask a question. I don’t see where he insulted anyone or claimed someone was wrong. So, it’s not a Sloth Bone, who cares. Everyone was learning something and that’s what I thought this forum was about.

I have learned a lot on this Forum, I don’t post much because I don’t know as much about fossils, nor do I claim to, than others on here. I hope that this can be resolved. There is no need to ban a contributing member, or anyone for that matter for asking a question about a bone. That makes this board seem totalitarian in nature and that’s no way for anyone to learn. I’m not for arguing or belittling anyone, but there is nothing wrong with having a legitimate discussion over an item, that’s what these forums are for.

Off soapbox, sorry if anyone was offended.

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."

...So, it’s not a Sloth Bone, who cares. Everyone was learning something...

That is my feeling exactly, but there were incidents (moderated, as you surmise) that took things in another (unacceptable) direction. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Some of the most interesting and informative threads on the Forum will discuss multiple subjects without incident or a need for any moderation. Everyone learns within "a legitimate discussion" without expressing frustration with others.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I checked some references to try to get an idea of the size of a Pleistocene bison relative to a modern one but found only info on how much larger the horn cores were in Bison latifrons, an extinct species. The articles said only that it was a giant bison and/or that it was "larger" without a size range given. One reference did say that latifrons didn't just have larger horns, it had to have had a stronger neck and body to carry them so from that I can only assume the animal was at least 25% larger than the modern species, Bison bison.

The other thing I learned was that there have been multiple species and subspecies identified and that paleontologists are still trying to get a handle on their size ranges. Another note: B. latifrons was the largest but it had smaller teeth than those of some smaller species. It also appears that even among the species smaller than B. latifrons, there were individuals clearly larger than any seen in historic times.

The article with the most information on bison (and one with a good reference list) I found is:

McDonald, J.N. and G.E. Lammers. 2002.

Bison antiquus from Kenora, Ontario, and notes on the evolution of North American Holocene Bison. In Emry, R.J. Cenozoic Mammals of Land and Sea: Tributes to the Career of Clayton E. Ray. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology 93: 83-97.

It seems appropriate again to post this:

post-42-051008700 1285607955_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you for the explanations on both the removal of the member and Harry for your reasearch on the topic.

On a seperate note I am 100% positive that my Avitar is Sloth. Lol

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."

On a seperate note I am 100% positive that my Avitar is Sloth. Lol

It appears to be an extinct species at that :P