Lance & Roz's May 3, 2008 Fossil Hunt

LanceH

Naw, closer to Dallas, sorry can't be more specific than that. Actually the spot is quite visible from a major highway though. B)

Nice haul of Ptychodus. The site wasn't in Waxahachie by any chance, was it?

-Joe

Awesome Ptychodus! I wish I had a chance to collect them in the NJ Cretaceous.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Where we hunted was a large construction related exposure of the upper Eagleford shale (Kamp Ranch limestone and Arcadia Park members). The age is lower Turonian (Turonian is 93-89 mya).

OH! And here's the blue ribbon tooth from a few weeks ago extracted from a chunk of Kamp Ranch limestone. B) It is a Ptychodus marginalis.

post-11-1209932318_thumb.jpg

Saturday we hunted a fossiliferous area near Dallas, Texas. The main catch were well preserved "Ptychodus" shark teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsAfP9hDnrU&fmt=18

Was this in the new housing area near the lake & big church? Nice finds, by the way. :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Yes, near the big church.

We only hunted about 3 of the lots so there is still alot of lots that can be canvassed. There's a big pile of Kamp Ranch limestone piled up near the northeast end of the subdivision. We combed through that but only found tiny or broken teeth. My big Ptychodus marginalis tooth from earlier was found in a small block far away from the large pile in the middle of a lot.

If you, Fruitbat, and MikeMurphy (if in town) want to do a group hunt there with Me and Roz that would be cool.

Any future Saturday is good for me as far as I know.

Was this in the new housing area near the lake & big church? Nice finds, by the way. :)

very nice teeth! i like ptychodus teeth,

do you want to trade some?

greet seam

Guest N.AL.hunter

I can only find the mortoni (spelling?) type of ptychodus around here, sure wish I could get hold of those other two types you show. Very nice.

I can only find the mortoni (spelling?) type of ptychodus around here, sure wish I could get hold of those other two types you show. Very nice.

That species is rare. Lance was very fortunate to have found it. Here's some of the same.

post-15-1210031564_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Scott Guay told me that species only appears in the Kamp Ranch limestone. Also it's noticeably absent from Welton & Farish's "The Collectors Guide to Fossil Shark & Rays - From the Cretaceous of Texas" It's certainly one of my top fossils now.

That species is rare. Lance was very fortunate to have found it. Here's some of the same.

P.S. Your block of Ptychodus marginalis totally kicks fossil !

I believe all the others found that day in the video are Ptychodus whipplei and maybe Ptychodus mortoni.

• 1 month later...

after drooling over you texas fossil nuts fossil finds, im starting to seriously consider a trip to texas! keep all the pictures coming! :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.