Question For All Beach Collectors

Ordovician_Odyssey

i've never been to a beach before and was wondering how good a place is it to collect fossils..and what kinds either then shark teeth?

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

That will depend a lot on the beach; what shores do you have in mind?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i've never been to a beach before and was wondering how good a place is it to collect fossils..and what kinds either then shark teeth?

every beach is different, and most beaches are different every time you visit them. what is on a beach is very dependent on time of year, tides, longshore currents, winds, etc.

beaches are fascinating, because you can go every day and still hope for a cool find, but they can also be very frustrating, because you can go expecting to hunt shark teeth and find there's no shell hash because the current is wrong or the tide is too high or whatever.

some beaches have quite a few fossils, and some have none. it depends on if there are any fossil beds onshore or nearby off shore.

Rivers that cut through fossiliferous strata can be very good, and the Michigan state stone is the Petoskey Stone, a fossil coral, because of the abundance of it on the Lake Michigan shores. A lake in the Canadian Shield would be unlikely to yield fossils, because the bedrock predates life that would fossilize, and during the Ice Age, it was under miles of ice.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

from a more generic frame of reference, ANY place where something, anything cuts down through the strata and exposes older, lower areas can be good, but only if those areas have good stuff in them.

the unique advantage to places where water moves is that there is a more frequent and/or continual action of uncovering or moving around stuff so that fossils can be sought.

but many people spend quality time exclusively hunting roadcuts, construction areas, or quarries also.

Rivers that cut through fossiliferous strata can be very good, and the Michigan state stone is the Petoskey Stone, a fossil coral, because of the abundance of it on the Lake Michigan shores. A lake in the Canadian Shield would be unlikely to yield fossils, because the bedrock predates life that would fossilize, and during the Ice Age, it was under miles of ice.

but around here in ottawa we dont really have any connection with the ice age, we mostly have ordovician

-Shamus

but around here in ottawa we dont really have any connection with the ice age, we mostly have ordovician

Oh,but you're wrong. Your area most certainly has a connection to the ice age. You were under water at the end of the last one, and there are plenty of pleistocene fossils including fish and whales. Google Champlain Sea and read up on it.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

like everyone has said it varies from place to place. like for exaple the creeks around were i live. One may have nothing, but a creek a few miles away may be over flowing with strieght cepheopods!!!!

Edited by frozen_turkey

oh ok, now that i think of it someone i now found a baby ringed seal bone ok

-Shamus

I live 2 miles from the beach and all we have are sea shells and bikini's which ain't all bad.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I hunt the beaches around Charleston, all of which are very productive. I've found Pliestocene, Pliocene, Miocene, and Oligocene material on the same beach.

The closer to the source (in my case the Chandler Bridge formation) the better the collecting. So the rivers are a great place to start.