How Far Do Fossil Hunting Go Back

Megalodon_hunter

At one point I had a few paleolithic tools made from moroccan megalodon teeth.

Here's an example, this was before the moroccan meg tooth boom too.

post-2755-074732300 1286478129_thumb.jpg

YvW

Next fossil auction: June 6th, 2010 - Beverly Hills, CA

http://historical.ha.com/NaturalHistory/

Check out our auctions and past auctions!

There we go, here's a picture from my email archives.

I'm not going to try to date them, but as you can see, they've got natural desert varnish on them.

I had gotten these off ebay one day in 2006-2007 before anyone knew their importance.

-YvW

post-2755-038818200 1286478261_thumb.jpg

Next fossil auction: June 6th, 2010 - Beverly Hills, CA

http://historical.ha.com/NaturalHistory/

Check out our auctions and past auctions!

There we go, here's a picture from my email archives.

I'm not going to try to date them, but as you can see, they've got natural desert varnish on them.

I had gotten these off ebay one day in 2006-2007 before anyone knew their importance.

-YvW

post-2755-038818200 1286478261_thumb.jpg

WOW!

Thats pretty cool. I've heard that there is a small possibility that humans had contact with the actual megalodon 1000s of years ago.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

I saw a 3" or so Meg tooth that came from the Peace River. It had a good-sized round hole (1/4" or so) in the center just above the enamel. I don't know what could have caused it other than man. I didn't get a chance to hold it or anything -- some guy I saw had it. I suggested to its owner that it might be an artifact but he didn't seem to like that idea.

Is there anything else besides man that could have caused such a large hole in a meg tooth?

Is there anything else besides man that could have caused such a large hole in a meg tooth?

Yes, boring clams. I think one of the tests for whether a hole is Indian-made or not is whether the hole tapers from both sides.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, boring clams. I think one of the tests for whether a hole is Indian-made or not is whether the hole tapers from both sides.

I didn't get to examine it so can't say, but interesting that a boring clam would do that....

BTW, the book on early Greek paleontology looks interesting. It makes sense that that culture's myths might stem from things they found on the ground (as well as other cultures' finds and myths). What did you think of the book?

I remember reading an article - which I'm still trying to find - about an 80,000 year old campsite in Germany. Fossil shark teeth were found amongst the remains.

that would be sort of a "smoking gun" of human alteration, but i have seen both human and non-human single-sided tapered boring. context is a big deal. in the absence of context, learning about various boring gastropods and where and how their borings look is the best safeguard against blaming a human for a snail's industry. hint - the snail borings tend to be much more "perfect" in their symmetry, and smaller.

I remember reading an article - which I'm still trying to find - about an 80,000 year old campsite in Germany. Fossil shark teeth were found amongst the remains.

If that was an 80,000 old campsite? Perhaps they were eating a shark? Perhaps after 80,000 years those teeth became fossilized.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

If that was an 80,000 old campsite? Perhaps they were eating a shark? Perhaps after 80,000 years those teeth became fossilized.

I don't think that there would be much shark available to ice age man in prehistoric Germany.