The Oceans Of Kansas - Where Should One Go

Megalodon_hunter

I found this interesting article http://www.oceansofkansas.com/lederhos.html

Kind of gave up some possible locations for looking for teeth?

Yet I'd like to hear where are the easiest public access is for screening and hunting on foot

may be.

Edited by Megalodon_hunter

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Unfortunately only the Kansas and Missouri Rivers are public in Kansas. (Possibly the Arkansas also) I wish we were more like Texas, but you have to have permission from the adjacent landowners to even float all other rivers and streams in Kansas. (Not that there is much water out west to float anyways) I believe over 90% of Kansas land is private, so you need permission to hunt it. Further most state-owned land (State Parks) have a policy that you can't remove fossils or artifacts. This policy isn't enforced much for shark teeth, but if you found something big, I'm sure the state would enforce it. About the only way to hunt here in Kansas is to get to know a land-owner. Now days, leasing is getting very common, and it's hard to get on a lot of the bigger areas out west. I'm sure there are a lot of nice fossils just eroding away, because the people who lease these areas don't have the time to collect the less valuable fossils. Let alone time to search all these areas.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Unfortunately only the Kansas and Missouri Rivers are public in Kansas. (Possibly the Arkansas also) I wish we were more like Texas, but you have to have permission from the adjacent landowners to even float all other rivers and streams in Kansas. (Not that there is much water out west to float anyways) I believe over 90% of Kansas land is private, so you need permission to hunt it. Further most state-owned land (State Parks) have a policy that you can't remove fossils or artifacts. This policy isn't enforced much for shark teeth, but if you found something big, I'm sure the state would enforce it. About the only way to hunt here in Kansas is to get to know a land-owner. Now days, leasing is getting very common, and it's hard to get on a lot of the bigger areas out west. I'm sure there are a lot of nice fossils just eroding away, because the people who lease these areas don't have the time to collect the less valuable fossils. Let alone time to search all these areas.

Amen, Brother Ramo, Amen. I hate the thought of all the fossils eroding away because someone has the "rights" to hunt the land, but never will. I know of a Pteranodon that I found that I couldn't get permission to excavate because the fossil rights were leased. I asked when the land was last hunted by the leasor, and the rancher said, "I don't know if it ever has." :angry: :angry:

Edited by Xiphactinus

My link

Here ya go! Every site in Kansas. Okay, so it isn't quite that easy. Look for Kn for the Niobrara formation. Since the article mentioned Trego county...

My link

Here ya go! Every site in Kansas. Okay, so it isn't quite that easy. Look for Kn for the Niobrara formation. Since the article mentioned Trego county...

Thanks a bunch.

Currently I am planning trips to Florida and South Carolina but I'm considering adding Kansas, Kentucky and Montana to the mix in the future. Kansas is much closer than Bone Valley and the East coast phosphate mines I've heard about.

Amen, Brother Ramo, Amen. I hate the thought of all the fossils eroding away because someone has the "rights" to hunt the land, but never will. I know of a Pteranodon that I found that I couldn't get permission to excavate because the fossil rights were leased. I asked when the land was last hunted by the leasor, and the rancher said, "I don't know if it ever has." :angry: :angry:

Very very true guys. I have had little luck in looking for new areas out in the chalk for this very reason. I must say though up to this point I have been looking at large exposures of chalk so I'm going to downsize to multiple small exposures. Ironically I think most of my best finds over the years have come out of small unintimidating exposures. I have found though in Kansas it does seem people are much more open to considering letting collectors on as compared to ranchers out in Montana, Nebraska, etc, that are near federal land. I often find they are concerned that you are somehow connected to the government and may cause problems..... and after collecting out in those areas I can see where they are coming from.

I found this was the best way for me to collect in Kansas.My link-G

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

There has to be some public access bridges and such to work the screens in Kansas on a river.. I know I just love getting muddy as hell.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

There has to be some public access bridges and such to work the screens in Kansas on a river.. I know I just love getting muddy as hell.

I've never heard of anyone screening for teeth in Kansas. Hunting out west usually entails a lot of hiking over a lot of hot, dry badlands.

If you want to get muddy, might I suggest the Kansas River between Topeka and KC for Pleistocene vertebrates. Loads of fun!

I've never heard of anyone screening for teeth in Kansas. Hunting out west usually entails a lot of hiking over a lot of hot, dry badlands.

If you want to get muddy, might I suggest the Kansas River between Topeka and KC for Pleistocene vertebrates. Loads of fun!

Sixty-five years or so ago when he was living in Russell County, Kansas, Loren Lederhos collected shark teeth from the river gravel.

That would involve screening. I don't know if it is as rewarding as screening in one of florida's rivers though.

Sixty-five years or so ago when he was living in Russell County, Kansas, Loren Lederhos collected shark teeth from the river gravel.

That would involve screening. I don't know if it is as rewarding as screening in one of florida's rivers though.

I think he was a rancher that just picked up teeth from the sand bars over the years. It would be interesting to try screening.

I think he was a rancher that just picked up teeth from the sand bars over the years. It would be interesting to try screening.

Yeah I'd like to try screening there. Untold wonders await!! Even Gold!

wow id love to go there! that is if it really is that good

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Well perhaps next year I will visit there.