Help With Texas Fossil Identification

Gary T

post-407-1210002535_thumb.jpg

OK, on the 1st photo #1 is the coolest ammonite I have ever found, but does anyone know Genius or species.

#2 is another type of ammonite I think. but again does anyone know the Genius species. I have been told that #3 might be a worm tube.

I think #4 and am sure #5 are some type of bone fossils, but I know very little about verts.

post-407-1210002550_thumb.jpg

Ithink #6 puzzles me the most, I have no clue, and the next pic shows another angle of it. Is #7 bone or just a rock. I think #8 is a fossilized bone fragment. And lastly the one my daughter wanted me to ask about #9 she thinks it looks like fossil poop. LOL anyone with a clue please chime in. Thanks in advance,

If anyone needs to see another angle or pic of something just let me know.

Gary T

post-407-1210002563_thumb.jpg

Adding 2 more photos of #4. The mineralization of #4 is stunning and no matter how many photos I take I cannot capture this. What looks white in the photos reflect light even whin dimly lit, each of the white cells (for a lack of a better term) has one facet at the surface. Additionally this fossil is far denser than any of the others I have found, it is like picking up a chunk of metal.

post-407-1210016861_thumb.jpgpost-407-1210016871_thumb.jpg

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

G

The ammonite is a splendid example of Pachydiscus paulsoni. Specimen 2 is a section of phosphatized Baculites, also from the Red Zone of the Ozan fm. Your vert is mosasaur, but I'm not astute enough to tell you genus or position in the vertebral column. Specimen 6 looks similar to a bivalve I find occasionally in the Pecan Gap fm called Sauvegesia. Good finds. I'm glad the river is still spitting out goodies.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Gary -

I think your #6 is the rudist clam Durania. Here's some info on Cretaceous clams of the Niobrara Chalk in Kansas, which is a similar fauna to the NSR fossils....

http://oceansofkansas.com/FieldGuide1.html

Thanks for the link Xiphactinus, I can see where what i found may be a segment of Durania based on that colony photo in the link.

Durania is also a strong contender. I think you can view both in Finsley's book. I remember finding one years ago when I started collecting. I really have to chuckle now as I thought it was a bison horn core!

Grüße,

Durania is also a strong contender. I think you can view both in Finsley's book. I remember finding one years ago when I started collecting. I really have to chuckle now as I thought it was a bison horn core!

From what I can find on line, it looks like Sauvegesia and Durania are closely related. As far as the bison horn goes, at least you had a guess! I was utterly clueless! Thanks for the IDs on #1 and #2. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was when I found the ammonite. If you were within 5 miles upstream or downstream you'd of thought I struck gold.

Do you have any thoughts on #4? I posted some more pics.

Looks like a mosasaur vert to me found quite far from its source in the river.

Grüße,