Preping Tools

Ordovician_Odyssey

Cheap air compressors are LOUD. You might not get carpal tunnel from vibrations but you will go deaf. Do your research and by a good compressor up front. All the other stuff can be upgraded as you go.

I started with a less expensive no oil compressor, and it was loud. And it broke. I overhauled it twice before I went to an oil compressor. BUT, I put the thing in an insulated closet I built and that cut down n the noise a whole lot. Now, I work with my less noisy compressor a similar closet.

Very interesting. How do you prevent overheating when putting the compressor in an insulated closet?

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

• 1 month later...

just build a soundproof box to store your compressor in, that's what we did for the KC Rock & Gem show.

A pancake 150 psi compressor from Porter-Cable is about $180 to $225, I've had one for 5 years and it works great. We have a home made blaster box hooked up to a Festool ct-22 Hepa Vac with a tool activated auto start plug. This set up is for the Swam blast and it works great and you can still talk all the customers.

Very interesting. How do you prevent overheating when putting the compressor in an insulated closet?

Oh, its not that well insulated. The insulation is there more for soundproofing. My "closet" holds the air compressor and the dust collector but it is big enough that overheating is not an issue. My compressor turns on for about 5 minutes every 15 minutes or so... I think that is the main thing to keep overheating at bay.

Sometimes your dentist might give you his worn-out picks and probes; doesn't hurt to ask!

Great idea never thought of that! I get mine from harbor freight a knock off hardware store.

:0 I also got a hand pen glass ingraver that workes great on shale!

-CQ

Edited by Crinoid Queen