Identifying Bones

Australopithecus

• New Members

Are there any good guides out there for identifying bones? I don't yet have any fossils that I personally have found, but I would appreciate the knowledge.

-Australopithecus

There is a book I use all the time called Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophyte's Guide by Frank A. Kocsis covering the Miocene & Pleistocene Epochs. Inquiries should be addressed to: IBIS Graphics, 2913 Fairfield Ct., Palm Harbor, Florida 34683. This is a contact start for you, very interesting book with actual pictures of bones teeth, etc. hope this helps--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

i need lots more books, but do a lot of my hunting for id info online. i spend a fair amount of time trying to eliminate modern animals from consideration when trying to id a bone, in that it's hard to tell a lot of the time how old a bone is. so if i just had some extra money to spend, one book i'd really like to have would be this one - link.

but the problem is just the volume of bones possible. when you go out hunting a lot, you find a lot of bones. after a while you just learn a lot of them by sight.

Wow... cool book. tracer. The one I use is Miles Gilbert's Mammalian Osteology. I don't know how widely available it is...he self-published it here in Laramie primarily for archeologists. It is not as extensive as tracer's link seems to be, but it is a great start and will help familiarize anyone with the basic bones. He also did one called avian osteology, again, modern bones for the archy in us all.

You may need to begin whit a comparative anatomy book to understand the basic terminology (if you haven't yet, obviously). I can suggest "Comparative anatomy of the vertebrates", by Alfred Sherwood Romer.

I have just finished reading "The Origin and Evolution of Mammals" by T.S.Kemp, very interesting book, but i guess a proper guide to identification would be more effective whit "mere" IDs.