Coral Looking, But I Dont Think It Is Coral

goldenraven

This strange rock I found west of Pucker Bush Nevada some years ago. At first I thought it was petrified coral, but now I dont think so. It may be a formation that just happened. Has anyone seen anything like this before? By the way it looked like it was growing on a sheet of bedrock along with about 8 others. What do you think it is??

post-4172-046870500 1286227511_thumb.jpg

post-4172-022949800 1286227520_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

For some reason, I can't get them to open up larger so that I can see what they are, but the small pics sure look interesting. (running joke around here: Just call them fossilized human brains).

That is very interesting. Do you have a larger picture of it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

goldenraven -

do you have any more info? Age, formation, etc? Size?

If they are from the same formation as the dino prints in your other post, they might be cycad fossils. Very cool if they are.

The one piece that I have is about 12" wide and 7" tall. The individual pettles or pieces are very hard, but they look just like a dark gray clay. In the back of the bottom back of the item, all the pieces start to come togeather. Also, they were in a total different location than the Dino Tracks. I am sending a better picture, I hope. Donald Stewart

post-4172-014562800 1286241022_thumb.jpg

post-4172-042527400 1286241041_thumb.jpg

post-4172-084804900 1286241058_thumb.jpg

That's pretty wild! I have no idea what it is, but I like it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Maybe some kind of cycad cone?

Definitely interesting, whatever it is.

Great find!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Guest N.AL.hunter

Much better pictures!! And what is it? I have no idea. Never seen that before. Almost looks coralish, but also looks like a possible flora thing. I hope it gets IDed. Really neat item.

Guest N.AL.hunter

You know, after looking more at it, there appears to be some "cave popcorn" look to the very bottom area. I wonder if this could be a cave or mineral formation.... just thinking out loud.

It looks like some kind of coral to me, but do to the lack of detail in the rock its hard to tell.

Have you tried washing it? That might help us out.

-Frozen

It does kind of look like a cave or karstic limestone formation...

What kind of rock was this found in? If Limestone it's possibly a cave formation but I'm going to suggest Sponge. Did you find any shells in the same rocks?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

When I found this thing it was attached to the bedrock that had been exposed on the hill side. I am sorry, I dont remember what type of rock or stone the bedrock was. All I know is that there were more of these things stuck to the side of the exposed bedrock. I should have gotten more than the one that I did.

Better yet, since you didn't collect them all, if you get a chance to go back, you can collect another one and answr some of the questions these folks have asked. If oyu do get a chance to go back, do look for other fossil in the same beds, and if oyu are not too good at identifying the age of rocks ( I rememebr your saying oyu were a newbie in a previous post), then maybe take a GPS reading and someone with a bit of Nevada geology knowlegdge might be able to help you. You might alos want to take it to the local geology or paleo museum.

By the way, I'm with everyone else on this one... I have no idea what it is but it is cool.

Guest N.AL.hunter

While I am not going to argue the above ID, the links you directed us to, in my opinion, do not even closely match what this person has asked us to ID. And whatever his specimen is sure seems to show very good preservation.

ok, nobody move, and nobody talk! i'm trying to think!

<trying to think>

nope! no idea! got any catnip?

sorry but it reminded me of a blooming onion, which made me think of catnip. go figure.

tc

Goldenraven:

I believe this is a piece of tufa, not a fossil. Tufa is very common in the Basin and Range. It forms in lakes where mineral rich ground water seeps into the lake water and calcium carbonate is deposited as it precipitates in the higher pH lake water. Tufa frequently forms in shapes similar to coral. Pyramid Lake and Mono Lake are good examples where these can be found forming today but many of the dry lakes will have tufa deposits around the lake edges.

I do like Al's ID: See My link Some pics look similar.

Good catch, Al!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me