Entries - October 2010 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

This Pulalius vulgaris crab is Lincoln Creek Formation, late Miocene or early Oligocene from the KM Mountain area of Washington State. When I found the concretion it was in two pieces and you could see it contained a good cross-section of a crab, I've saved it for 3 years, and have been working on my broken and shattered ones for practice until I finally had enough self-confidence and equipment to tackle it. I glued it back together without any loss in the body area and just finished preparing it today. All the work was done under a microscope mainly with a Microjack #5 and #3 from Paleo tools. There is NO Vinac, or color applied or any restoration done to it,except for two cracks in the matrix which i filled with ground matrix and diluted Elmers glue. I left the back side unfilled so you could see the size of the gap between the two pieces. I only put a little CA toward the ends of some of the legs where flaking started. Once uncovered, i was amazed at the preservation of the mottled color and shine.

:o .................................................................................WOW :wub: ..........................that is to good for words.

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

OMG... that crab is over the top, well... over the top. Outstanding find and the prep work, first rate. Congratulations.

This Pulalius vulgaris crab is Lincoln Creek Formation, late Miocene or early Oligocene from the KM Mountain area of Washington State.

Wow! Amazing prepwork! This crab fossil is a real beauty... I almost wish it would have taken you another two weeks or so to finish working on it. This will now be VERY tough competition! ;)

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Wow! Amazing prepwork! This crab fossil is a real beauty... I almost wish it would have taken you another two weeks or so to finish working on it. This will now be VERY tough competition! ;)

Tim

i agree

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Superb crab prep... I have a boxful of those in my garage. I'll send them right out to you for prep.

I don't know if I am entitled for the Fossil of the Mounth because I didn't dig the dinosaur nest out.

Anyway those dino eggs are the best fossils I found this October, I just had to left them in place.

Dinosaur nest, likely 8 to 11 Megaloolithus mamillare eggs

Cretaceous, Late Maastrichtian, Provence, France

Found Oct/24/2010

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/16414-dinoasur-nest-nandomas-olympic-rings/

post-1112-078382200 1288118864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Here is my entry. Its a gastropod called Aporrhais. It was found in Palisades Dr,Santa Ynez Canyon,Southern California on 10/25/2010, and it dates back to the late Cretaceous.It measures 2in(5.1cm) from top to bottom.Prep work wasn't hard but I had to be very careful, after finally removing the matrix off the fossil I hardened it with Elmer's glue.

Thank you

post-3427-006629600 1288125628_thumb.jpg

Edited by kolleamm

Superb crab prep... I have a boxful of those in my garage. I'll send them right out to you for prep.

If your willing to share a few let me know.

This Pulalius vulgaris crab is Lincoln Creek Formation, late Miocene or early Oligocene from the KM Mountain area of Washington State. When I found the concretion it was in two pieces and you could see it contained a good cross-section of a crab, I've saved it for 3 years, and have been working on my broken and shattered ones for practice until I finally had enough self-confidence and equipment to tackle it. I glued it back together without any loss in the body area and just finished preparing it today. All the work was done under a microscope mainly with a Microjack #5 and #3 from Paleo tools. There is NO Vinac, or color applied or any restoration done to it,except for two cracks in the matrix which i filled with ground matrix and diluted Elmers glue. I left the back side unfilled so you could see the size of the gap between the two pieces. I only put a little CA toward the ends of some of the legs where flaking started. Once uncovered, i was amazed at the preservation of the mottled color and shine.

HOLY snarge this is amazing and totally trumps the crab claw I was going to enter. Maybe next time :blink:

My entry for the month: 3" Pleistocene? Bear canine from Onslow County, North Carolina collected October 1, 2010.

post-1906-094103000 1288358192_thumb.jpg

post-1906-044299100 1288358214_thumb.jpg

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

:startle: Wow excellent find.Wish we had them here.Great prepwork,love the color,are all of them colorful that you find? :D

Bear-dog.

If your willing to share a few let me know.

:) No,his mother told him if he didn't have enough to share with everyone don't take them out. :rofl:

Bear-dog.

Well here is my last minute entry.

Crinoid Calyx

Found - Oct 20, 2010

Prep Finished - Oct 29, 2010

Location - Coralville, Iowa

Group - Cedar Valley

Formation - Coralville

Member - Unknown

Dimensions - 12x24 mm

Other Notes - All of the prep was done by me and was done by hand (needle tool).

post-2572-099154200 1288549814_thumb.jpgpost-2572-071112300 1288549848_thumb.jpg

Happy Holloween everyone!

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

I'm just simply amazed so far at ALL The entries for this month...WOW, WOW, WOW!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Frozen,

I'm curious about those specks to the left of the crinoid. Wondering if they are mineral grains or microfossils. Any ideas?

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book